Optimizing a SQL Database

• Hi Guys,

Can anyone perhaps give me tips on optimizing a database. Someone came to me and said they are getting slow responses from the database when they try to import the data into the database. I have noticed that the database's data and log file is on the same drive.

What else do I need to check for?

Regards

Imke

• If it's a data import you could

1. Drop the indices in the database before importing data, disable referential integrity, import the data, recreate the indices and then recreate referential integrity constraints.

2. Ensure there aren't any triggers executing on the tables. If there are triggers, see if they're efficient or if they even need to run at all for the import.

• You can use profiler to identfy the poorly performing queries.

Once you've identified them, you can optimise the queries (if they're written badly) or tune the indexes (if the queries are written well)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Not to push my own stuff, but I busted my bottom for Tony Davis to write the darn thing, so, try this article [/url]over on Simple-Talk as a starting point. It's just an introduction to the topic, but it'll get you started.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply