Opinions on a T-SQL book

• Hello,

Is there anybody here who has used the following book?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Inside-Microsoft-SQL-Server-2005/dp/customer-reviews/0735623139/ref=cm_cr_dp_all_helpful?ie=UTF8&customer-reviews.sort%5Fby=-SubmissionDate&coliid=&showViewpoints=1&customer-reviews.start=1&qid=1213607919&sr=8-1&colid=#customerReviews

The reviews here are good, but I have just broke my T-SQL learning duck on the dummies book, I did understand everything in it (thank goodness), but I am wondering if the jump from that book to this one, might be a bit big. Having said that, I'm still going to do everything in it and hope things fall into place. I was really just wondering if anybody here had used it and how they found it?

Regards,

D.

• I'm presently at the last chapter of "Inside Microsoft SQL Server 2005: T-SQL Querying". It's an excellent book, a must have.

I've took some training with the author, Itzik Ben-Gan, at the SQL Server Connection conference held in Orlando (April 2008). This guy is amazing. He knows is stuff. The book show you a lot of different ways of doing things and demonstrates which ones are most efficient.

As the "Introduction" says:

The book is targeted for experienced T-SQL programmer. It covers advance T-SQL querying, assuming you have a the basic and intermediate levels of the subject matter and you are ready to go to the next level.

D.Couturier

Senior Database Administrator & Architect

• After that book, go for the "Inside SQL Server 2005: T-SQL Programming". It's a continuation of the previous book.

It goes deeply into programming:

scripts, stored procedures, temporary tables, cursors, dynamic SQL, views, user defined function, triggers, transactions, execption handling,...

D.Couturier

Senior Database Administrator & Architect

• Hi Guys

Thank you very much for your replys, I just hope the book isnt too difficult to follow, I'm thinking if I just keep hacking away at it, it will all make sense, I just want to be really good at t-sql and get a job and do it for a living.

I will be going for the programming book afterwards for sure.

Thanks again,

D

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply