Open Source - Free Tool to Compare DB Schemas and Generate Synchronization Script

• [font="Verdana"]

Hi,

I am wondering whether there is available on Internet, any Open Source, Free tool that would compare two db schemas and would generate the synchronization script.

BR

Panayotis Matsinopoulos

[/font]

• That's pretty cool. Gave me a laugh.

Just a suggestion on the original question, you might take a look at Red Gate's SQL Compare. It's not open source and free, but it's pretty darned inexpensive and it works VERY well.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• I have tried several free and not free schema comparison tools and I believe RedGate's SQLCompare is the best and worth the money. ApexSQL's SQLDiff is not bad and has a free lite version that will let you compare small databases, but you really need the full version for anything but a hobby database.

• If you're a consultant and you need this, spend the $$. It's an investment in your time and it pays off. No one I know that has bought either Red Gate's tool (I work for them) or another one is disappointed.

If you can't get the budget, show your boss how long it takes to do it by hand, or to do it a few times. The cost of these tools is returned many times over to you.

• Use Red Gate's SQL Compare

You can compare Both Schema and Data as well

Worth in ivesting..

• [font="Comic Sans MS"]

Thanks a lot guys. All the answers were really helpful to me.

BR

Panayotis Matsinopoulos

(I am wondering now how shall i mark this post as "answered" or "closed" or "resolved" in order to stop attracting any more answers and interest, but I do not see any adequate command on the forum web forms. Any help on that?)

[/font]

• What you did is just fine. Saying "thanks, that helps" pretty much closes the thread. (Then, of course, some overly helpful person like me will come along and add to it, like this.) 🙂

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply