On average, how much resources do the developer edition take?

• At home I've got a Windows 11 Professional machine, which is my current personal development machine. I also have an old Windows 10 Pro machine, where I had 4 SQL Server databases which I used SQL Server Developer Edition with. I've not used those databases for a few years, so the machine has sat off. But today I thought I'd do some work on it, so I turned it on. I'm having some problems remoting to it (I decided to not put a monitor, keyboard, or mouse on it, so I use Remote Desktop to connect to it), so I'm going to let it sit for the day pulling down updates, then try to remote to it this evening.

But if I can't remote to it, then I may have to install SQL Server Developer Edition for 2022 or 2019, whichever one is available. (I have backups of the databases, so that's covered.) But now I'm wondering if I should take a different approach. I'm considering adding some other technologies to my current developer box, which could take significant resources. I don't want to bury that Windows 11 machine under lots of resource hungry apps and processes, so I'm considering my options at this point.

To that end, on average how much resources does SQL Server Developer Edition (either 2019 or 2022) consume?

• This topic was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by  Doctor Who 2.

Rod

• Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

• Search in Duck-Duck-Go for "installation requirements for SQL Server Developer Edition" leads us to a link for the following...

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/sql-server/install/hardware-and-software-requirements-for-installing-sql-server-2019

That has links on it for other versions.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Instead of installing SQL Server locally for development, you might consider running it as a container. The advantages are, you can turn it on & off without mucking with services. It'll use, at least in my experience, fewer resources as a container (although, you also have to run the container software, Docker presumably, which does use some resources). As a pure development process, something I need, when I need, and then don't, when I don't, it's made things great. Especially since now I've got SQL Server running sometimes, PostgreSQL others, and even MySQL once in while (ugh, ugly, ugly, ugly baby).

Jeff's outline of the necessary environment is accurate. Then, how much resources it uses are completely dependent on what queries & transactions you do, as with any other version of SQL Server.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Thank you, Jeff.

Rod

• Great idea, Grant! And it gives me a chance to play around with Docker, too! (I installed Docker on my PC at work, but that old machine is so out of date that it takes Docker ages to start up.)

Rod

• Doctor Who 2 wrote:

Thank you, Jeff.

You bet, Rod.  Thank you for the feedback.

As a bit of a sidebar, I have a now fairly old laptop that I got a couple of year before the great Covid bugout in March of 2020.  It's an Alienware R17 with an 8th Gen, 6 core (hyperthreaded to 12, of course) CPU running at a slightly overclocked frequency of 4GHz.  It has 2TB of nVME SSD, a 1TB bit of spinning rust, and 32GB of RAM.  I'm running both SQL Server 2017 and 2022 Developer Editions and I have no issues with building a 52.4GB Clustered Table with 100 Million rows in about 2 Minutes and 30 Seconds.  Not bad for a 6 or so year old laptop.  I don't use any containers or anything fancy like that.  I just use hardcore bare metal and it works beautifully for doing all sorts of experiments and presentations.

At about 9 pounds, it's not a lightweight portable but, man, it gets the job done.  The 17 inch screen is a joy, as well.  It is a gaming machine but the only "games" I play on it are SQL and SQL. 😀  Oh yeah... and PowerPoint and a fair bit of Excel. 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply