Ok, its their first day on the job.

• DiverKas (10/31/2008)

When hiring my DBA's, I typically look for those that know where to get the answers, rather than those that think they know the answer.

I couldn't agree more to this. Nobody knows everything. Even I try to know it all but its impossible. Having references is a good thing. Google is your friend

• Sorry to be the exception to the rule 😛

I have no SQL Books and being freelance, I wouldnt last 5 minutes, If I turned up a a client site and put down any books, regardless of what level it is based on.

Using Google and BOL are acceptable, as noone knows everything. BUT if the content of what you are looking at, is very simple concepts. then it doesnt look good to the client. As you are supposed to be the SME (subject matter expert) on SQL.

if you think that is hard enough. I relocate to where ever I am working (world wide). And i dont have a computer (desktop or laptop).

Everything I need to do my job I have to know. anything else, google or BOL.

~Silverfox~

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [highlight]Recommended Articles on How to help us help you and[/highlight]
    [highlight]solve commonly asked questions[/highlight]

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help by Jeff Moden[/url]
    Managing Transaction Logs by Gail Shaw[/url]
    How to post Performance problems by Gail Shaw[/url]
    Help, my database is corrupt. Now what? by Gail Shaw[/url]

• Silverfox (8/17/2009)

Sorry to be the exception to the rule 😛

I have no SQL Books and being freelance, I wouldnt last 5 minutes, If I turned up a a client site and put down any books, regardless of what level it is based on.

Been a semi-independent consultant, my book collection is at home and the books are now piled on my home desk (and sofa, and bed-side table, and dining room table). If I'm travelling on business, I'll often take one or two relevant books with me, not to read at the client, but to have at the hotel in case I need to reference them.

I don't know everything about SQL, I won't pretend that I do. Books (and BoL and google) are for the parts I don't know

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Been a semi-independent consultant, my book collection is at home and the books are now piled on my home desk (and sofa, and bed-side table, and dining room table). If I'm travelling on business, I'll often take one or two relevant books with me, not to read at the client, but to have at the hotel in case I need to reference them.

Not quite sure I understand how that works. Are you saying that you take books with you, based on a certain requirement. And if you need to resolve a problem, that you cannot find out using BOL or google, you go back to your hotel and read your books ? or is that too obtuse of me.

Sounds like a nice idea, if you can do that

~Silverfox~

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help by Jeff Moden[/url]

• Silverfox (8/17/2009)

Not quite sure I understand how that works. Are you saying that you take books with you, based on a certain requirement.

If I'm going to do say an implementation of Analysis services and help the client set up some cubes, I'll pack a couple BI books and read up on the relevant sections before I get to the client

And if you need to resolve a problem, that you cannot find out using BOL or google, you go back to your hotel and read your books ? or is that too obtuse of me.

If I run into a problem that I can't solve on the spot (and it has happened), I explain that this needs additional research and that I would prefer to do said research on my own. That way I can consult the books, hit google, call MS, ask on newsgroups etc and I'm not bothering the client while doing do.

In fact, if I even have to hit google while I'm at the client, somewhere I've messed up on my preparation for the visit, or they asked something totally unexpected.

I'm a consultant, not a freelancer. I don't have to be at the client X hours a day. I'm there to get something done. If it takes a day or so longer due to unexpected problems, that's my loss, not the client's.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• GilaMonster (8/17/2009)

Silverfox (8/17/2009)

Not quite sure I understand how that works. Are you saying that you take books with you, based on a certain requirement.

If I'm going to do say an implementation of Analysis services and help the client set up some cubes, I'll pack a couple BI books and read up on the relevant sections before I get to the client

And if you need to resolve a problem, that you cannot find out using BOL or google, you go back to your hotel and read your books ? or is that too obtuse of me.

If I run into a problem that I can't solve on the spot (and it has happened), I explain that this needs additional research and that I would prefer to do said research on my own. That way I can consult the books, hit google, call MS, ask on newsgroups etc and I'm not bothering the client while doing do.

In fact, if I even have to hit google while I'm at the client, somewhere I've messed up on my preparation for the visit, or they asked something totally unexpected.

I'm a consultant, not a freelancer. I don't have to be at the client X hours a day. I'm there to get something done. If it takes a day or so longer due to unexpected problems, that's my loss, not the client's.

Wow, I didnt realise there was a difference between a Consultant and a freelancer, you almost make freelancer sound like a bad word :crying:

Freelancers are also there to get the job done, and not only that, they have to do the job within the time limit of the working day. freelancers work based purely on merit, you are only as good as your last role. If you screw up, you dont eat. simple as that. No safety net.

~Silverfox~

• Silverfox (8/17/2009)

Wow, I didnt realise there was a difference between a Consultant and a freelancer, you almost make freelancer sound like a bad word :crying:

No such insinuation was intended. Sorry if you read it in there.

freelancers work based purely on merit, you are only as good as your last role. If you screw up, you dont eat. simple as that. No safety net.

Same here.

Gail Shaw

• Dont worry I wont take any offence, well maybe just a little 😛

freelance != consultant

freelancers/contracters are independent - one man/woman outfits

consultants normally work for a consultancy or outsourcing companies 😉

maybe you are a exception perhaps 😀

• Silverfox (8/18/2009)

consultants normally work for a consultancy or outsourcing companies 😉

Not necessarily. Especially in the US you'll find a lot of independent consultants. Not as common here though. While I do work for a company, in organisation, working hours, etc it's far more like I'm solo than something like MCS

Gail Shaw

• I currently have 4 books (unleashed etc) on my desk as our internet access is monitored and in some cases sites are blocked. What happens if Googles not working :w00t:

• In this day and age there is no way one person can remember it all, although this may have been true 25 years ago when computer life was much less complicated!

I find nothing wrong with referencing books.

But I am more of a jack of a few trades (Application Development, SQL Development, Networks etc.) which requires a broader knowledge with less depth than a one subject expert.

I also find that as I get older I find the philosophy "I don't remember how to do everything, I just have to remember where to find the answers" works best for me. I know what can be done (from reading books) and then research how to do it (by rereading those books) when I need the details. My mind is like a hard drive with limited space. There is no way I can store all of the details in my mind. I find it much easier to remember where to look for answers and details than trying to remember the details.

BOL/SQL Server is huge! How can anyone say they know everything in BOL and never have to refer to BOL? I don't think anyone has ever used and remembers how to use every feature, function, etc in SQL Server!

To each his/her own, but I see nothing wrong with a person referencing books on the job as long as the books are not beginner books like "Learn SQL in 24 hours".

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -- Will Rogers

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply