Ok, its their first day on the job.

• I was going to say you could probably use Dilbert's advice on this. Next time they go to the bathroom, peak into the books. The content should give you some clues:

- if they're full of pictures and NO words, this person should be MANAGEMENT. Talk to HR and get them reassigned.

- if they're full of technical diagrams and no words - they should be in Project management/Architecting.

- If they're full of ER diagrams and code - you're safe, the person is a DBA through and through.

- if they're full of "normal" words - they're doomed (we all know DBA's don't read or write real English anymore...:))

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Steve Jones - Editor (10/29/2008)

Personally, if a person is referring to books then I'm very impressed. I've worked with too many people who were convinced they knew everything they needed and refused to pick up a book (or open books online for that matter)

Here, here. I agree. Too many people don't know what they don't know. That's probably more important than knowing what you know.

Bingo. Especially with DB's you should double check potentially destructive commands.

Personally, I have used so many different platforms I kind of build it in psuedocode and then validate the syntax. The worst thing with looking things up is that they require a tad more time to respond to an emergency, which good DBA's never have, Right? :Whistling:

• When hiring my DBA's, I typically look for those that know where to get the answers, rather than those that think they know the answer.

• I wish more people were looking for that kind of talent. Most interviews I've ever been on were not like that.

I can find out how to do just about anything, but alot of people want you to spit it out w/o any research. I need a few minutes to form a plan and get my ducks in a row. I always refer to books and online resources.

• I'm a shortie as such and think nothing of having books on my desk, although i might have a plan in my head it's reassuring to have the backup of the books to refer to

• First thing I did when getting to my current position is plunk down a a few books which has grown significantly in number. Like most of you I've worked in far too many languages to have every single bit of syntax down completely. Then of course I got down to the business of making sure backups were happening and other miscellaneous first day type things...

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• i work as a DBA and still lots of things to learn. I dont have any paper books on my desk but yes i do have a collection of e-books with him where i constantly go and refer to things oftenly. I personally prefer ebooks than paper books as i run find or search tool on things am looking at. 🙂

Apart from books i mostly use BOL and vast database of GOOGLE and the biggest help available from GURU's for any reference at www.sqlservercentral.com 😀

• How about having some non-work related books so your new co-workers don’t think you’re a total dork?

Leave out a copy of “The Prince” by Niccolo Machiavelli so they’ll think you’re a little dangerous. Or maybe some old issues of 2600 so they think you’re a hacker. Even a popular romantic novel to give women an excuse to talk to you.

Even better, leave out a draft of the screenplay or novel you’re working on, your poetry/song workbook, or the sketches for a graphic novel. They don’t have to be real; use your imagination.

It’ll make you seem a hundred times more interesting than the average cubicle drudge.

• good advice Michael, i'll definitely get some books over there.

HAPPY NEW YEAR folks

• There is NEVER shame in pulling out good reference books. It's an indication of excellent character, in my opinion. To me it would indicate the person is aware of their strengths and limitations, knows how to use a reference guide, and doesn't have ego issues. I'd be honored to have this person as an employee or co-worker. Some of the best conversations and learning happen when two differing opinions gather around a good book for some show-and-tell.

It's the "know-it-alls" that worry me, as others have already expressed in this thread. They typically don't pay as much attention to detail, they mess up more often, and it's difficult for them to learn from their mistakes since they won't admit they made a mistake. And they are the worst people to work with; you can't have a decent conversation about best practices, or different strategic approaches to a problem, because their ego gets in the way.

Here there be dragons...,

Steph Brown

• BWAAA-HAAA!!! The next problem is... finding a good book! 😉 Many of the folks that write such books have some pretty severe ego problems themselves. 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Spoken like a man who writes the answers on his sleeve! 😀

But Matt described the contents of a good book, and SQLBill went so far as to list titles, so we're well on our way (egos aside). 😛 I'd have to be at work to check the book titles, since mine are on someone elses desk at the moment (we share resources...) and I'm not a hard-core SQL developer. More like a Jack-of-all-trades, in that I know a little about a lot of things. But I love books...

Steph Brown

• Stephanie J Brown (1/1/2009)

But I love books...

I'm with you there... I never throw one away, either. I've got some old DOS 2.0 books with a trick in them here and there. Not to be a total dweeb... I also have some old books that I occasionally like to go back and read... the John Carter series of novels by Edgar Rice Burroughs, for example...

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Ah, Jeff, you're no dweeb, those are good books as well! I don't own them, but I have read them. (I own a few others by Buroughs, tho.) My personal library of paperback sci-fi and non-work-related reference books fill a 7 ft by 7 ft bookshelf with the overflow on a 5 foot by 5-foot bookshelf, and the rest in boxes. The computer reference books are in the home office, behind glass doors. 😛

Steph Brown

• I have more books in my office than the rest of the development and data team combined. :Whistling:

What annoys me is the simple questions from coworkers that can be looked up in BOL...

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply