Odd Question

• Backup SQL server was down for a while and now we are bringing it back up.  On its way back up, we removed log-shipping, as we were going to have to re-do them anyway.  Now when I try to re-register the server, it is saying that I can't log in.  I've removed my log-in and re-created it, only to be given the same error.  I know that it is something very simple (I have to re-link the login or something like that), but what am I not getting?  Any help is appreciated.  Thank you.

Chris

• Try to register the server with sa and configure the logshipping.

Cheers,
    Sugeshkumar Rajendran
    SQL Server MVP
    http://sugeshkr.blogspot.com

• I'm able to register the server with sa, but I should be able to register the server with my own domain login.  Any other ideas?  Thanks.

• Might have lost the secure channel with the domain controller. I've seen this happen, though you usually see an SSPI error when it occurs.

Can you log in with any domain login?

• Yes, I can log-in with another domain login.  Thanks.

Chris

• Is your login added to the server. Check if it enabled in sql server. also can you post the exact error message.

Cheers,
    Sugeshkumar Rajendran
    SQL Server MVP
    http://sugeshkr.blogspot.com

• Yes, the log-in is added to the server.  The message that I get is below.

"Unable to connect to server ...

Server: Msg 18456, Level 16, State 1

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Login failed for user ..."

Thanks...Chris

• This with SQL auth? I'm sure you checked, but password? That's usually what I see with this.

I'd think if the default db was gone/offline, it would say that. Are you using server name, FQDN, or IP? Sure nothing has changed there?

Strange. Maybe turn on failed logins and then register. Check the logs.

A little stumped here.

• Steve, I don't know why it didn't click until you wrote it just there, even though I had read it.  This situation is probably due to the fact that a few of the databases were marked as suspect when the server came back up, and so far, I have been unable to recover them.  The log-in is a user in several of those databases.  So, because the databases are suspect and I am unable to resolve the incorrect mapping between users and log-in, I would get this message, right?  Thanks.

Chris

• I think you can just change default database to master for your login and be able to log in.

• Well, I deleted the log-in and then re-added it, giving it a default database of master, but that didn't work either.  Any other ideas?  Thanks.

Chris

• Can you post the entire error message? Also, is it a SQL login or Windows login?

• The error message that I posted earlier is the full error message.  It is a Windows login.  Thanks.

Chris

• So, to sum up troubleshooting you've done so far:

- Login with your domain account using Windows Authentication fails.

- Login with another domain account using Windows Authentication works.

- The default database for both logins is set to master.

- You've dropped and re-created your login a couple of times.

Some weird ideas:

- are there any groups which have "Deny login" defined on SQL? If yes, is your login a member of such group?

- do you see "Failure Audit" messages in Windows security event log?

- have you tried to login from the server itself (either from a console session or Terminal service session), not from your workstation?

• Yes, all of the troubleshooting steps described above are correct.

No, there are no groups that have a "Deny login" defined, in SQL.  Even so, the account is a member of the sysadmin group.  Wouldn't that over-ride any deny permissions set?

No, there are no entries in the Security logs.

Yes, I tried logging into the server itself...still no luck.

Thanks.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply