Odd Error Processing Cube

• I get the following error while processing a new cube:

The background thread running lazy writer encountered an I/O error. Physical file: \\?\C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.3\OLAP\Data\WebCoachUtilization.0.db\Date Dim.189.dim\248.Hierarchy_2.Date Dim.dstore.

Searching on Google (I mean Bing! I was search on Bing!) I found a forum post about a similar error. http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/sqlanalysisservices/thread/21bf84c5-f89a-464a-a5f1-2649fae5eb1e/.

The forum moderator recommended re-designing the cube, but the poster was able to resolve the problem by tweaking the memory configuration on the server.

I have heard (and I believe) that 85% of all performance and quality-control problems are design related. However, redesigning the cube is not an alternative for me. (I am a DBA, and my knowledge of SSAS is quite limited.)

Has anyone else run into this problem? How did you resolve it? Are there any configuration changes you would recommend?

Here is our server configuration:

Dual Quad-Core Xeon processors with hyperthreading.

24 GB of RAM

Back-end storage is provided by a SAN.

Running:

SQL Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Edition

SSRS 2008 R2 Enterprise

SSAS 2008 R2 Enterprise

I realize that running all three of these applications on the same box is not ideal, since all three are notorious memory hogs. However, this is our test server. I was lucky to get one server this beefy for testing, let alone three. 🙂

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

• Sounds more like a hardware, disk space or permissions issue to me based on the error message.

The probability of survival is inversely proportional to the angle of arrival.

• 64-bit or 32? If 32, is your /3GB switch on? http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/sqlanalysisservices/thread/21bf84c5-f89a-464a-a5f1-2649fae5eb1e/

Jared
    CE - Microsoft

• It does appear to be a disk space issue. I need to relocate the system paging file.

Thank you! 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply