Network Settings (SQL Server Standard)

• Understood about DHCP and how it works and understand DNS in the form you mention, but that is where I fall flat on my face on a small network such as the one I am referring to. I have other clients that have a Sybase database where I had to set it up as Static IP initially. Eventually, there will be a satellite office that wants to have access to that database, in which case there will have to be a Domain controller and Active Directory etc. But that is way down the road.

As far as this setup is concerned, I haven't dealt with DNS on small network, hence my thread and admittance of idiot status.

Haven't had the need for NetBIOS until recently since all I do is work with the really small business so I haven't had to tap what I am getting into now. I took a DBA class for Oracle 8i and hated it 4 years or so ago, and kept moving in the direction of IT for small business, now it is becoming apparent I should be focusing on Network+ & MS certs now as all this stuff is finally starting to make more sense than it did back then.

Thanks for your input though.

Eyes and ears wide open

• Hi CJ

Well, I know the setup as I described will work, cos that's what I have on my own network at the mo. Also it will connect to a SQLS box on another subnet via a VPN.

I'm not sure, though, how the SQL Server servername is resolved / browsable eg in EM/management studio etc - maybe this is Netbios too.  Anyone care to confirm this?

Also I can recommend the Mastering Windows Server 2003 (/2000/NT) books by Mark Minasi pub Sybex - covers a lot of this ground.

pg

• So Grasshopper,

What is your network configuration with SQL server and Server 2000?

• Set up your router to be a DHCP client on the WAN side and a DHCP server on the LAN side ie it will get its own IP address plus the addresses of two DNS servers from your ISP.  Set its DHCP server to scope a non-routable address range eg 192.168.2.20 - 192.168.2.90 This gives plenty of room for fixed addresses for things like print servers etc.

Set each workstation to use TCP/IP and Netbios over IP. Remove Netbui (and any other protocols). Set workstations to receive IP addresses via DHCP and likewise get their DNS server address the same way. The Subnet mask will default to 255.255.255.0 which is correct. Set default gateway to the address of the router - conventionally .1 in the subnet we are using so in this case it would be 192.168.2.1

By now if you set up some shares on your workstations and server you should be able to browse to them via 'My Network' (May take a min for browse master elections etc but will get there eventually)

If you open a DOS box on the workstaion and run IPCONFIG you should see the box has rec'd an IP address from within the DHCP scope plus two DNS server addresses which have come from your ISP via your DHCP server in your router.

YOu should be able to fire up IE and get web pages etc too.

Now install SQL S on your server. Make sure its set up for networking - this depends on version eg SQL Server 2005 express needs this turning on eg by 'Surface Area' tool; other installs often start networking by default.

If you install client tools on a workstation you  should now be able to see your SQL server / or eg VS 2005 create data connection in Server Explorer - whatever - depends on what version and what apps you are using.  This can be fiddly, and, as I said, it varies depending on what you've got.

Hope you find something helpful in this - Like I said, I'm not a network guru (I'm a VB guy really) (But I can usually get things to work eventually  )

pg

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply