Network Settings (SQL Server Standard)

• Hello,

I have a client that has been running Access 2.0 in a small business and they have a programmer coming in to migrate to SQL Server Standard. I basically manage the network and hardware aspect but am limited in my experience as you'll begin to see.

Currently, There is a server running Windows Server 2000 and about 15 PCs are connected to a peer to peer (workgroup) network consisting of a network switch and a D-link DI-604 Broadband Router. All the PC's including the server are all using DHCP (Auto) TCP/IP and NetBEUI. As you can see, very basic.

My questions are, do I have to change my network to static IP? The programmer suggested DNS but I do not think it is necessary and my knowledge is limited. This database is only used for inventory, shipping etc, printing labels, and eventually barcodes, and won't be accessed from the WAN.

What are the common network settings for a small fry such as myself? Does it have to get that complicated?

Thanks for any suggestions :shades:

• Hi,

converting to static IP is not necessary, but the SQL Server should have a static IP, so troubleshooting is easier done.

(ok, i'm a fan of static ip's, but that's just a personal bias)

If all your PCs and the server reside in the same subnet you don't even need DNS or entries in HOSTS and LMHOSTS. But - DNS with DHCP is easily implemented on W2k, and a properly set up network should indeed have DNS, so i would recommend using it. (setting it up should take only 5 minutes... )

regards karl

Best regards
    karl

• Is the DHCP on the Router or ur domain controller?? ... i'll assume for now that u'll be using the DC for the DNS!

If u dont have the DC controlling both, then u'll probably need (Easiest!!) to static IP the SQL Server to get the DNS entry to stick. Static IP'ing servers is a good plan anyway though (am a fan as well!!)

• So DNS will work ok with DHCP.... hmm

That's where I fall short, perhaps some steps?

The router is doing DHCP...there is no domain.

This is where I fall short, I've googled quite a bit and haven't come up with anything definitive on how to enable DNS on the server. Does that mean that every machine has to undergo changes or just on the server?

I am thinking that static IP would take more time to set up on all the other machines, but if all I have to do is static the server and have all the other machines refer to it, might be the fastest way..not really sure.

Would DNS help in speed?

See I told you

Thanks

• What OS is on the PC's? w2k too? If that's the case, then install DNS Server on your Server and configure his IP as DNS-Option for DHCP.

W2k or XP will register with DNS after boot...

Best regards
    karl

• It is a mixed 2k, XP 98SE environment. I have been working to upgrade the PC's to at least 2k. There will only be one 98SE that will need to access the database until I can get that one swapped out.

W2k or XP will register with DNS after boot...

So you're saying that all the other PCs 2k & XP will do this automatically?

• yes, when the dns-client is starting is registers the PC with DNS, if DNS-Server-IP is given and the appropriate checkbox in the "Advanced TCP/IP Settings" - "DNS" is activated (Register this connection's adresses in DNS)

You don't have to register all PC's in DNS, if other PC's don't have to get to them, the main thing to do is register the server in DNS (maybe manually).

Best regards
    karl

• Well other PC's in the network regularly access on another on a regular basis to share files.

• ok, no sweat, just do as in my last posting...

Best regards
    karl

• "if DNS-Server-IP is given and the appropriate checkbox in the "Advanced TCP/IP Settings" - "DNS" is activated (Register this connection's adresses in DNS)"

1.) So, this setting has to be on all clients on the network or just the server? I'm assuming it has to be on all of them, the way it's worded.

a.) So, I shouldn't have to change anything on the Router in DHCP except to lock the IP address by Mac address for the server. And then enable DNS on the server, then make the necessary changes on all the other clients in the network, correct?

Thanks for being patient. As you can see, I was thrown into the fire. No better way to learn I guess.

• 1.) exactly

a.) If you configure a static IP directly on the server, you have to exclude this IP on the router. (If you configure the MAC as static IP you may run into trouble if you have to exchange the network card on the server...) Also you have to configure the router to give the DNS-server's IP to all clients.

Best regards
    karl

• Ok great, that's starting to make better sense now.

So I don't necessarily have to lock it in with a mac address on the router, I can just assign the IP address directly on the Server in TCP/IP properties?

• PMFJI - I'm not sure where you guys are going with the DNS stuff? - It's all on one subnet, so wouldn't DNS only be required for resolving names on the Internet and not internally? So just let the router pick up DNS server I/P addresses from the ISP, then forward these to each workstation via DHCP?

(I've always done it that way, so when I saw this I was worried I've been missing something!)

First post said using NetBUI also - might as well get rid of this and just use TCP/IP?

• PQ53,

Well originally, many of the systems were using 98SE/ME and some 2000, and NetBEUI is more secure than using NetBIOS over TCP/IP as file and printer sharing is bound to NetBIOS normally. But that in itself is another topic entirely. Now, there are mostly XP and 2K machines on the network, including a few Macs. In the XP machines I have to have the default setting for NetBIOS enabled in order for them to communicate with the Mac. I have been slowly pushing to get them out of the cave over the last several months.

As was explained to me, DNS in an Intranet or LAN, is easier to set up and refer the database to DNS and supposedly it's faster to resolve internally. I'd be interested in hearing how you implement SQL Server in your DHCP environment. And why you would suggest going back to an insecure protocol over TCP/IP.

Who know's, I may have to enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP to get it to work, but that is the last thing I want to do. I'll do Static IP before doing that, if that's the case.

• Hi CJ

DHCP is just a way of streamlining IP addresses, so that you don't have to manage them on paper, as you would with fixed addresses.  It has no bearing on DNS.  It's simply so you can plug in a machine and it will get itself a valid IP address from the DHCP server, instead of you having to pick one from a list.

It can be easier on a small network to use fixed addresses for some purposes eg if you want to restrict access to the internet via a router.

DNS is used for name resolution.  I don't usually see any need for this internally on a small network - you just need a DNS server availble to you out on the internet somewhere so you can resolve website addresses etc.

I find Netbios over TCP/IP pretty much essential in the MS networking world - even with Active D and DNS a lot still seems to rely on Netbios broadcasts - hence the remark about same subnet.

Macs - I know nothing about!

I'm not setting myself up as a guru here (er should be obvious) - these are just my bits of the jigsaw!

pg

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply