nested row_number () function

• :sigh:

This script definitely becomes part of my hall-of-blame.

Next version up and (hopefully) running

Flo

• Florian Reischl (5/14/2009)

mmunson (5/14/2009)

Can I get your opinion? Is my script pretty beginner stuff? I was just wondering because I have no frame of reference, I'm the only one in my department who knows how to write this kind of stuff.

I cannot answer this question depending on your script.

I would say you should have a look for CTEs in BOL because they are a great feature introduced with SSE2k5.

Anyway, the fact that you didn't know them does not say very much about your overall experiences. The magic is more to find a good solution for every requirement.

In my book the best way to increase your knowledge about available functions and techniques is hanging around on pages like SSC.

Hope this helps.

Greets

Flo

Thanks Flo, you gave me some direction on what I need to look for (or study)!

Cheers, Michelle 🙂

• Florian Reischl (5/14/2009)

mmunson (5/14/2009)

Can I get your opinion? Is my script pretty beginner stuff? I was just wondering because I have no frame of reference, I'm the only one in my department who knows how to write this kind of stuff.

I cannot answer this question depending on your script.

I would say you should have a look for CTEs in BOL because they are a great feature introduced with SSE2k5.

Anyway, the fact that you didn't know them does not say very much about your overall experiences. The magic is more to find a good solution for every requirement.

In my book the best way to increase your knowledge about available functions and techniques is hanging around on pages like SSC.

Hope this helps.

Greets

Flo

Hey, wait a minute! I know what CTE's are .... 😛 I didn't know that's what is was called.

I feel stupid. -Michelle

• mmunson (5/14/2009)

Thanks for the reply GSquared. I appreciate your opinion!

I continue to learn new functions based on the requirements from the users, and well, they can be pretty demanding! :hehe: And from this forum of course!

Michelle

You're welcome.

Learning by necessity is how I learned SQL. No training at all. Didn't even know what "relational" meant when I started out.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply