need to learn how to be a DBA

• I just took my 70-432 test today, and am sorry to report that I am still just an uncertified newbie.

:crying:

but the good news is that I know what I need to study on, and experience more of (unfortunately for me, it's things like high-availability, fail-over clustering, and mirroring - stuff I have not done yet). I did pretty well in 4 categories though, but the other 4 were mediocre and 2 of which I just flat out bombed.

:ermm:

• sorry to hear you didn't pass SSC-Enthusiastic, hope you pass on ur second shot!

I`m going to buy http://www.amazon.co.uk/Real-MCTS-Server-2008-70-432/dp/1597494208/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2OT4J7AIRZ4RF&colid=3CREJDQUEGRZO (sorry could post link properly) and spend next week going through it.

Is a week enough time for me to learn it all? (I know I will need to be regimented)

• Rich - sorry to hear you didn't pass. If you study all areas of the study guide before your retake, and practice aspects where you can (it's pretty easy to be able to test a mirroring configuration on the same computer for example, and log shipping can be configured on the same instance), you'll be fine.

Sendai - unless you have experience of administering SQL Server, you will not learn enough in a week to pass the exam (in my opinion). I've been administering for a number of years in small shops, and found there were a number of areas I was very weak in when I began studying. I would advise spending a good month practicing and revising.

I'm taking 70-450 in mid-July, which should give me plenty of time to study the aspects of that exam I am currently weak with.

Mike.

• thanks for the encouragement all. I have been using the MeasureUp testing, and in all honesty - that was better than my Microsoft Press book. I'll be good to go again next week, but I always get nervous when I do tests (I hate failing because of having to tell those excited for me about taking it if I don't pass).

I've always been that way about tests.

:w00t:

• Rich Yarger (6/10/2011)

thanks for the encouragement all. I have been using the MeasureUp testing, and in all honesty - that was better than my Microsoft Press book. I'll be good to go again next week, but I always get nervous when I do tests (I hate failing because of having to tell those excited for me about taking it if I don't pass).

That's why I never say a word until I got it - it takes "that kind' of pressure out of the equation. 😉

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • I don't think I have ever failed a SQL test, but I never tell anyone I am even taking a test until I pass it.

• I typically don't either, but when your awesome employer is paying for you to take it - it's kinda hard to hide!

:blush:

• Rich Yarger (6/13/2011)

I typically don't either, but when your awesome employer is paying for you to take it - it's kinda hard to hide!

Been there. Take the test on Saturday or after hours - I'm sure you will find a way to take it without telling "when" you are taking it 🙂

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • I never used to tell anybody either, but now it doesn't bother me and I tell all and sundry. Don't know what signalled the change in attitude. More confident in myself I guess.

Taking 70-450 on July 18th!

Mike.

• mike.mcquillan (6/14/2011)

Mike.

I'm taking that as well, but before the end of June. I have to get 70-432 taken first though. Am running out of time!

:w00t:

• mike.mcquillan (6/14/2011)

I never used to tell anybody either, but now it doesn't bother me and I tell all and sundry. Don't know what signalled the change in attitude. More confident in myself I guess.

Mike.

Godspeed Mike!

By the way, I'll be checking thread for test result on Tuesday July 19th - first thing in the morning 😀

• Thanks Paul.

Now the pressure is on...!

Good luck to Rich too.

Mike.

• [font="Arial"]GilaMonster: If you use the MS Press books, which I recommend, for your MCTS and MCITP, pay special attention to any 'Notes' in the books. If it is important enough for them to break it out of a chapter, it is testable! The Design exam has tons of scenarios. Prometric eas a much better prep than Test King for that single exam. [/font]

• John Aitchison (6/16/2011)

[font="Arial"]GilaMonster: If you use the MS Press books, which I recommend, for your MCTS and MCITP, pay special attention to any 'Notes' in the books. If it is important enough for them to break it out of a chapter, it is testable! The Design exam has tons of scenarios. Prometric eas a much better prep than Test King for that single exam. [/font]

I studied exclusively from Books Online for my 2008 exams. Didn't need anything more than that. Passed em all within 6 months of them coming out (2 as betas)

p.s. TestKing are braindumps, ie cheating.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I actually created SQL University to help folks learn SQL Server from the ground up from experts all around the world. You can check it out here, it's all free. As far as a learning environment there are lots of options as already mentioned (buying Dev edition, Amazon, etc.). At SQLU there's a link for computer labs. That takes you to a site that lets you sign up for access to virtual machines that have Windows 2008 R2 with SQL Server 2008 R2 already installed so you can just login and start exploring. Again, all free.

=============================================================
    /* Backups are worthless, Restores are priceless */

Get your learn on at SQL University!
    Follow me on Twitter | Connect on LinkedIn
    My blog: http://sqlchicken.com
    My book: Pro Server 2008 Policy-Based Management

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply