need to learn how to be a DBA

• Hiya Guys,

Iv been subscribed to the newletters here for a while after my employer sent me on 2 of the M$ certification SQL courses, ever since iv had an interest in learning SQL and SQL Server. While in work I did some some VERY minimal Database management so i`m not completely green.

since then, I have changed to another employer, in the past iv been ICT support and working mainly in the public sector. Now I am looking at making 2 major changes one moving out of ICT support and into a DBA Role and secondly move out of the public sector and into the private sector.

so my question is whats the best way to tackle this Iv thought of doing the M$ certs but I dont know if this is enough as I dont have any real world experience.

Anyone offer any suggestions or advice???

Thanks

• If you have a computer at home then...

Step 1. Buy the Developer's Edition of SQL Server. It only costs about $45-50 USD and is the equivalent of the Enterprise Edition with special licensing.

Step 2. Buy the book of your choice that covers the cert you want.

Step 3. Go page to page through the book running and understanding as many of the examples as you're hardware will allow. Read and understand the things it will not.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Also you could buy/rent hosted a VM from amazon and use 120 eval edition of SQL. Once the 120 days is up just add a new VM and start over. Doing this you can work with different disk configs ,but a cheaper solution you could use a USB hub and get cheap thumb drives and use them as disk drives.

The hosted vm is just a few cents an hour to use, very cheap unless you forget to turn it off and come back a week later and notice what you did. :w00t:

• I've found that reinstalling SQL Server every 120 days is a real PITA. 😛

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Learn_something_new_everyday (6/2/2011)

Also you could buy/rent hosted a VM from amazon and use 120 eval edition of SQL. Once the 120 days is up just add a new VM and start over. Doing this you can work with different disk configs ,but a cheaper solution you could use a USB hub and get cheap thumb drives and use them as disk drives.

The hosted vm is just a few cents an hour to use, very cheap unless you forget to turn it off and come back a week later and notice what you did. :w00t:

Why not simply install the EXPERSS Edition? It's free and you don't have to try to cheat on licence agreements. Also, you wouldn't have to worry about the costs involved with hosted VMs.

The express edition will provide enough functionality to get started. You might want to check the related MS site to see what functionality is not available in the Express version compared to the other versions avaiable (just to be prepared).

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• Agree - I always teach my students to start with Express. It is really good enough to start the SQL Server journey 🙂

You can download also version with SSMS so there is no pain working with sqlcmd (which is good app by the way)

Kindest Regards,

Damian Widera
    SQL Server MVP,
    MCT, MCSE Data Platform, MCSD.NET

• Thanx Guys,

Think Iv come to the decision as well to try and get the MCDBA Cert under my belt so atleast I have a Database qualification.

I have a weeks holiday coming up and i`m planning to study then (wife and child wont be at home)

so do you guys think this is a good step into the world of databases?

• The MCDBA certification was retired something like 3 years ago. It was a SQL 2000 certification, it's no longer available (as SQL 2000 is long out of support)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • sorry guys I meant the MCITP still in 2k mode.

• You'll need to write the MCTS exams first, they're a pre-requisite for the MCITP

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Why don't you just download SQL Server Express to get your hands dirty first before spending $$.

http://www.microsoft.com/express/Database/InstallOptions.aspx

:cool:

"There are no problems! Only solutions that have yet to be discovered!"

• Becoming a DBA is the greatest experience of your life! There is sooooooooo much to learn and do! Why ANYONE would want to leave the database engine behind, to go write MDX queries is beyond me!

😛

• I think the best way for trainee, would-be DBAs to learn SQL Server is to attempt the MCITP administration track. Certifications are not the be-all and end-all, but if you study properly for the two exams you will pretty much cover most of the key features offered by SQL Server and you'll also be able to practice some of them (clustering might be difficult).

Also, the study guides for the exams provide you with a good syllabus.

Take a look at the study guides and good luck!

Mike.

70-432 Study Guide

70-450 Study Guide

PS You have to pass 70-432 before you can take 70-450.

• mike.mcquillan (6/9/2011)

PS You have to pass 70-432 before you can take 70-450.

You can write them in any order (I wrote 450 before 432) but you'll only get the ITP cert once you have the TS cert as well.

Gail Shaw

• Start with SQL server DBA book. Microsoft MCITP books. Some people feel that is helpful. We need some basic knowledge to follow the terms there. Basic knowledge in T-SQL programming is also needed. SQL server bible will help you to some extent to understand the concepts.

Practice and experience only will make you a good DBA.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply