Need to Drop a Database

• OK I'm still very new to this DBA position on SQL Server 2000...

I need to Drop a Database. Typically this would be no problem but in this case someone has inadvertantly deleted the database files and reconfigured/initialized the disk on which it used to sit.

So, how should I go about dropping the db???

Glenn

• So you have the db definition in master, but nothing else? If DROP DATABASE doesn't work, then I'd allow system table updates, reconfigure with override and delete directly from sysdatabases.

• Thanks Steve. I had thought of going in to Master and delete the sysdatabases entry but I was concerned that there are other entries elsewhere (i.e. MSDB jobs, etc) that I'd also need to address and/or other Master entries.

Currently I'm working on restoring the database and moving the data and log files to new disks. Once the db is restored I'll simply delete the database via the Enterprise Manager. Unfortunately this is a really big database and it's taking a long time to restore and is eating my disks alive. Oh well...

Thanks for your quick response. This is a great site. I was foolish enough to raise my hand and volunteered for the DBA position. I've had to learn very quickly and am still overwhelmed by the complexities of the job.

Thanks for being here!!!

Glenn

• If you're just going to delete it after it finishes restoring, just cancel the restoration, leaving the database in "Loading" status, then delete it.  No need to allow the restore to complete if you don't need the database.

Steve (not Jones)

edit:

By the way, deleting a database won't remove the jobs or DTS packages associated with the database.  You'll still need to perform that cleanup afterwards.

• Thanks alt.Steve (I had wondered about that). Fortunately, the database did finally restore and has been deleted and the offending IT individual has been catigated... all-in-all a satisfying day!

Thanks again.

Glenn

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply