Need help to restore the database

• I have one database and it has couple of table with data. I did full complete back up. Then i applied some update and insert transation on that database.

After i did that i restore my database upto my last back up which doesn't include my new transation records.

Now how can i append my transation log which include all new transtion into my database. How can i transfere data from my transtion log.

• Did you take a transaction log backup before doing your restore?

If not, then you cannot reclaim the transactions that occured after the full backup.  The transaction log is part of the database, and was restored along with the rest of the database.

If you did take a transaction log backup before the restore, then you can get those transactions back.  Also, in order to use transaction log backups, the database must be in the Full Recovery model.  If it is in Simple Recovery model, the transactions are truncated (removed) from the transaction log as they are committed to the database.

If you do have a transaction log backup, first you must restore the full backup using the "WITH NORECOVERY" clause.  This clause tells SQL that you will be applying additional backups.

Then, you can use the "RESTORE LOG" command to restore the transaction log backup that you took.  If you took more than one transaction log backup, then you would again use the "WITH NORECOVERY" clause.  When you restore the last backup, you would use the "WITH RECOVERY" clause to tell SQL that you are done.

Steve

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply