Need for Multiple Database Servers

• Hi

Several times I heard of managing 20 servers or 300 servers,but I couldn't understand in what situations a company need that many servers. Can you give me some examples of that kind of industries.

• Well I work for a small company with only 1 application, and we have over 30 servers.

First you have a few development servers, then a couple qa servers, for a couple different qa environments, then you have servers for staging, and customer certification environments. Then you have Production servers, failover servers, and or Clustered servers, Backup servers in another location, Report servers and on and on. It can be easy for a large corporation with several applications, and locations to have 100 or more sql servers.

• Well I got it. I would like to know how the data is seperated and kept in many servers.

Does the DBA manages all the above mentioned different kinds of servers?

• Industry is healthcare

SQL Server

21+ SQL Servers

480+ databases

50+ applications

Oracle

5 Servers

5 applications

UDB2

4 Servers

2 applications

Number of DBAs = 1

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• Why so many? Some developers tightly integrate Active Directory -- adding, deleting, and modifying users from within the application. Hence every "environment" -- dev, test, QA, prod, training, etc. has to be in its own AD Domain. Lots of instances on one server won't work. It's one domain per server. And the "enterprise" AD administrator doesn't want any of them in our internal AD Domain.

• I have 6 SQL Servers with over 1000 databases. We are doing data mining basically. 52TB of data so we break up the databases into smaller pieces for the users to acess.

Michelle

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply