select 'Sec12364' union all

select 'Sec12365'

create table #SystemMappedSecurity

(

map_id int primary key identity(1,1),

SecurityId varchar(20),

SystemId int

)

insert into #SystemMappedSecurity(SecurityId,SystemId)

select 'Sec12356',2 union all

select 'Sec12362',1 union all

select 'Sec12345',1 union all

select 'Sec12349',3

-- Column name in subquery should be [SecurityId]

select * from #Security where [Security Id] in (select distinct [Security Id] from #SystemMappedSecurity)

Here I am expecting an sql error 'Invalid Column Name', but there is no error and sql server executes the query without any problems and all the records from #Security table are returned. Why such odd behaviour?

Does anyone have an explanation for this? I am running this query in sql server 2012.

• A subquery can refer to a column in the outer/main query. Thus, SQL is comparing the column to itself. You need to prefix the column with the local table alias to make sure you are referencing a column in the local table.

Edit: That is:

select s.* from #Security s where s.[Security Id] in (select distinct sms.[Security Id] from #SystemMappedSecurity sms)

Then you'll get the error you expect, and can correct it.

SQL DBA,SQL Server MVP(07, 08, 09) "It's a dog-eat-dog world, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear." "Norm", on "Cheers". Also from "Cheers", from "Carla": "You need to know 3 things about Tortelli men: Tortelli men draw women like flies; Tortelli men treat women like flies; Tortelli men's brains are in their flies".

• ScottPletcher (10/9/2015)

A subquery can refer to a column in the outer/main query. Thus, SQL is comparing the column to itself. You need to prefix the column with the local table alias to make sure you are referencing a column in the local table.

select s.* from #Security s where s.[Security Id] in (select distinct sms.[Security Id] from #SystemMappedSecurity sms)

This is one reason I like to alias all my tables and refer to the columns using the alias for all of them. I've been bitten by this exact situation myself.

• ScottPletcher (10/9/2015)

A subquery can refer to a column in the outer/main query. Thus, SQL is comparing the column to itself. You need to prefix the column with the local table alias to make sure you are referencing a column in the local table.

Thanks for explaining this in such simple words. Now I will do the same for my fellow colleagues. 🙂

• You're welcome!

Ooh, one last interesting thing. If both the "local" table and the "outer" table have a column with that name, SQL will use the "local" ("closer") table. For example:

CREATE TABLE #a ( col1 int, col2 int ) INSERT INTO #a VALUES(1,1),(2,2);

CREATE TABLE #b ( col1 int ) INSERT INTO #b VALUES(1);

SELECT * FROM #a a WHERE col1 IN (SELECT col1 FROM #b b);

--will list only col1=1, since that's all that appears in b.col1. But this:

SELECT * FROM #a a WHERE col2 IN (SELECT col2 FROM #b b);

--will list both 1 and 2; since #b doesn't contain col2, it's comparing to itself, as we've seen.

DROP TABLE #a

DROP TABLE #b

SQL DBA,SQL Server MVP(07, 08, 09) "It's a dog-eat-dog world, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear." "Norm", on "Cheers". Also from "Cheers", from "Carla": "You need to know 3 things about Tortelli men: Tortelli men draw women like flies; Tortelli men treat women like flies; Tortelli men's brains are in their flies".

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply