Need comment on my Database Integration

• Hi,

I've as follow

1. ERP DB

2. Warehouse Management DB

3. Transport Management DB

*All database using SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition (32 bit)

All of this DB Server installed on their dedicated machine, and data in SAN within LAN.

How ERP DB push/pull data to/from Warehouse Management DB and instead?

Answer:

1. ERP will generate XML files and place into folder. Then, one special program (running continuosly using Task Schedule) will pickup this XML Files, process and insert/update/delete into Warehouse Management DB.

2. Warehouse Management DB will generate XML files and place into folder. Then, one special program will pickup this XML Files, process and insert/update/delete into ERP DB.

How ERP DB push/pull data to/from Transport DB and instead?

Answer:

Same technique as above

Based on my current Database Integration Architecture, I hope someone can comment. Right or wrong.

My most concern is, how if one or more my DB Server is offline?

• I normally do ETL through SSIS, not through an external XML file, but it sounds like it should work, if I'm understanding you correctly.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (11/8/2010)

I normally do ETL through SSIS, not through an external XML file, but it sounds like it should work, if I'm understanding you correctly.

Sir,

How about data integrity? Atomicity, 2-phase-commit, and so on

• Little Nick (11/8/2010)

GSquared (11/8/2010)

I normally do ETL through SSIS, not through an external XML file, but it sounds like it should work, if I'm understanding you correctly.

How about data integrity? Atomicity, 2-phase-commit, and so on

:blink: Meaning?

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • Sir,

My question on my current solutions.

I've as follow

1. ERP DB

2. Warehouse Management DB

3. Transport Management DB

*All database using SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition (32 bit)

All of this DB Server installed on their dedicated machine, and data in SAN within LAN.

How ERP DB push/pull data to/from Warehouse Management DB and instead?

Answer:

1. ERP will generate XML files and place into folder. Then, one special program (running continuosly using Task Schedule) will pickup this XML Files, process and insert/update/delete into Warehouse Management DB.

2. Warehouse Management DB will generate XML files and place into folder. Then, one special program will pickup this XML Files, process and insert/update/delete into ERP DB.

How ERP DB push/pull data to/from Transport DB and instead?

Answer:

Same technique as above

Based on my current Database Integration Architecture, I hope someone can comment. Right or wrong.

My most concern is, how if one or more my DB Server is offline?

Did my current solutions guarantee the data integrity? Like Atomicity, 2-phase-commit, and so on

• That will depend entirely on how you build your solution.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• It will be up to your 'special program' to guarantee Atomicity in the ETL process, it will need to have logic in it to roll-back incase a load fails.

• Sir,

Can you give me the sample of logic based on my case? I can't imagine that.

• It depends on how you are doing the inserts into the warehouse system. If you are using SSIS as suggested then could put all the insert data flows into one container and have set to load everything or incase of an error return the db back to the original state.

If you are custom coding this process then whatever code you create will need to have the same sort of logic.

• ok sir. i'll try first. will get back to you. if i've any problem to built the system integration scripts.

• GSquared (11/8/2010)

steveb. (11/9/2010)

It depends on how you are doing the inserts into the warehouse system. If you are using SSIS as suggested then could put all the insert data flows into one container and have set to load everything or incase of an error return the db back to the original state.

If you are custom coding this process then whatever code you create will need to have the same sort of logic.

Based on suggestion and others reading, I've an option to perform database integration as following

1. SSIS

2. SQL Service Broker

3. Linked Server

With GSquared and steverb suggestion, looks like I will choose SSIS.

I've question as following

1. My SQL Agent will run this SSIS Package periodically. Let's say the interval is 1 second. It's possbile sir? I'm worry that my SSIS will take a lot of server resources especially memory.

Need explanation

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply