Need an alternative

• hi,

my sp takes long time to execute, i need some alternative for the same code.

create Procedure [dbo].[custinfo]

@FromDate datetime,

@ToDate datetime,

@capital bit,

@date datetime

as

begin

Declare @temp1 table

(Code Nvarchar(255),

Name Nvarchar(255),

B1 float,

B2 float

)

Insert @temp1

select

Distinct Code,

Name,

b1 = CASE WHEN @capital = 1 THEN

dbo.fGetcustinfo (dbo.fGetcapitalreturn(C.ID , ph.FromDate, @ToDate , '$1'), ph.FromDate, @ToDate )

ELSE dbo.fGetcapitalReturn(dbo.fGetcapitalreturn(C.ID , ph.FromDate, @ToDate , '$1') END,

b2 = CASE WHEN @capital = 1 THEN

dbo.fGetcustinfo (dbo.fGetcapitalreturn(d.ID , ph.FromDate, @ToDate , '$2'), ph.FromDate, @ToDate )

ELSE dbo.fGetcapitalReturn(dbo.fGetcapitalreturn(d.ID , ph.FromDate, @ToDate , '$2') END,

from

dbo.fgetcustinfo(@date) ph

LEFT Outer Join dbo.fBase(@ID, @Code, @s-2) p on

p.ID = ph.ID

Left Outer join

dbo.Labels C On ph.ID = C.ID

LEFT OUTER JOIN dbo.market m ON C.Value = m.value

LEFT OUTER JOIN dbo.market n ON d.Value = n.value

Where ph.ID = @ID and c.Label = '$1' and

and d.Label = '$2'

union all

select

Distinct Code,

Name,

b1 = CASE WHEN @capital = 1 THEN

dbo.fGetcustinfo (dbo.fGetcapitalreturn(C.ID , ph.FromDate, @ToDate , '$3'), ph.FromDate, @ToDate )

ELSE dbo.fGetcapitalReturn(dbo.fGetcapitalreturn(C.ID , ph.FromDate, @ToDate , '$3') END,

b2 = CASE WHEN @capital = 1 THEN

dbo.fGetcustinfo (dbo.fGetcapitalreturn(d.ID , ph.FromDate, @ToDate , '$4'), ph.FromDate, @ToDate )

ELSE dbo.fGetcapitalReturn(dbo.fGetcapitalreturn(d.ID , ph.FromDate, @ToDate , '$4') END,

from

dbo.fgetcustinfo(@date) ph

LEFT Outer Join dbo.fBase(@ID, @Code, @s-2) p on

p.ID = ph.ID

Left Outer join

dbo.Labels C On ph.ID = C.ID

LEFT OUTER JOIN dbo.market n ON d.Value = n.value

Where ph.ID = @ID and c.Label = '$3' and

and d.Label = '$4'

union all

Select * from @temp1

--

End

i have to do union all for 6 times ,and i need to use udf.

so its taking long time.

is there any other way i can insert data.

thanks

• Kick out ALL udfs you use and write the proper query to fetch the data you aim for.

Without a sqlplan, it is up to our imagination to figure out what these functions in your select statement do.

if you can, please post the ddl of all objects involved, including indexes and functions.

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• but i need t use udf ,the data has to come from udf and insert into table

• Scalar udfs are incredibly slow. If you want to optimise the procedure you need to get rid of the UDFs, replace them with inline table-valued UDFs or subqueries.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • create Procedure [dbo].[custinfo]

@FromDate datetime,

@ToDate datetime,

@capital bit,

@date datetime

as

begin

Declare @temp1 table

(Code Nvarchar(255),

Name Nvarchar(255),

B1 float,

B2 float,

B3 float,

B4 float

)

IF @capital = 1

BEGIN

Insert @temp1

select Code,

Name,

b1 = dbo.fGetcustinfo (dbo.fGetcapitalreturn(C.ID , ph.FromDate, @ToDate , '$1'), ph.FromDate, @ToDate ),

b2 = dbo.fGetcustinfo (dbo.fGetcapitalreturn(C.ID , ph.FromDate, @ToDate , '$2'), ph.FromDate, @ToDate ),

b3 = dbo.fGetcustinfo (dbo.fGetcapitalreturn(C.ID , ph.FromDate, @ToDate , '$3'), ph.FromDate, @ToDate ),

b4 = dbo.fGetcustinfo (dbo.fGetcapitalreturn(C.ID , ph.FromDate, @ToDate , '$4'), ph.FromDate, @ToDate )

from dbo.fgetcustinfo(@date) ph

LEFT Outer Join dbo.fBase(@ID, @Code, @s-2) p on p.ID = ph.ID

LEFT Outer join dbo.Labels C On ph.ID = C.ID

LEFT OUTER JOIN dbo.market n ON C.Value = n.value

where ph.ID = @ID and c.Label in ('$1' ,'$2','$3' ,'$4')

END;

IF @capital = 0

BEGIN

Insert @temp1

select Code,

Name,

b1 = dbo.fGetcapitalReturn(dbo.fGetcapitalreturn(C.ID , ph.FromDate, @ToDate , '$1'),

b2 = dbo.fGetcapitalReturn(dbo.fGetcapitalreturn(C.ID , ph.FromDate, @ToDate , '$2'),

b3 = dbo.fGetcapitalReturn(dbo.fGetcapitalreturn(C.ID , ph.FromDate, @ToDate , '$3'),

b4 = dbo.fGetcapitalReturn(dbo.fGetcapitalreturn(C.ID , ph.FromDate, @ToDate , '$4')

from dbo.fgetcustinfo(@date) ph

LEFT Outer Join dbo.fBase(@ID, @Code, @s-2) p on p.ID = ph.ID

LEFT Outer join dbo.Labels C On ph.ID = C.ID

LEFT OUTER JOIN dbo.market n ON C.Value = n.value

where ph.ID = @ID and c.Label in ('$1' ,'$2','$3' ,'$4')

END;

Select * from @temp1

You might get rid of the UNION stuff with a rewrite like code above BUT (I like big BUTs rap song...) As others pointed out, you need to dig into dbo.fgetcustinfo(@date) and dbo.fBase(@ID, @Code, @s-2) to really make a big difference I suspect.

• harri.reddy (6/17/2012)

but i need t use udf ,the data has to come from udf and insert into table

Why?

If it is non-performant why must you use a scalar udf?

As Gail suggested, an iTVF would be much better.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• As others have said, in order for us to help you better, please post the DDL behind your objects. That includes CREATE TABLE statements, INSERT statements for sample data, and the code behind all your UDFs.

Coming from an environment where the schema got thoroughly FUBARed during its evolution, I totally understand where UDFs might be the only course of action you have to consistently come up with specific values. So unlike the others, I won't immediately say "don't use UDFs" because I do get it. However, if you want us to help you with your performance, you need to post everything. Not just the stored procedure causing you problems.

Every table your UDFs touch, we need DDL and sample data for. Every table the Proc touches, we need DDL and sample data for. We'll also need expected results for the UDFs and Proc. Maybe what you need is a UDF redesign or maybe the UDFs can be dumped. We won't know either until you post your code.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• CELKO (6/17/2012)

Floating point math is illegal in many commercial application...

Really? I had no idea there was an actual law against it. Could you tell me which one it is so I can point it out to my local actuarial wannabes? I need to explain this to them so they stop asking me to use it.

CELKO (6/17/2012)

....AND bitch for computation;

You = Preacher. Me = Choir. Sing it again, Sam.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• CELKO (6/17/2012)

SQL programmers do not use local temp tables. This is how COBOL mimic scratch tapes. We use derived tables AND CTEs so the optimizer can work.

Floating point math is illegal in many commercial application AND bitch for computation; we use DECIMAL(s,p). I started as a FORTRAN programer AND I am saying that!

Okay, first, I have used local temporary tables to break down complex processing into logical chunks that has actually improved performance of stored procedure processing over trying to do everything in one query using CTE's and/or derived tables.

Second, please provide your citation regarding the illegality of using floating point math in commercial applications.

I worked for a company whose application software was written in Fortran V and it did in deed use floating point math.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply