Need advice to save SQL Server Files, MDF files, and LDF Files

• Hi,

Currently, my plan as follow

1. Setup SQL Server 2005 Enterprise Edition (64 Bit) on Dedicated Server

2. This Dedicated Database Server connected to SAN storage

My SQL Server installation as follow

1. SQL Server Files saved into C:\Program Files\ in Dedicated Server

2. SQL Server LDF Files saved into D:\SQL Server Log\ in Dedicated Server

3. SQL Server MDF Files saved into X: in SAN storage. X: volume strengthen with RAID1

My question is

1. I save this files into different location because to make sure boost the performance. It's my configuration accurate and recommended?

Need advice

• What's the D: drive?

Ideally you want to, IMHO, do this:

1. separate data from backups

2. Separate logs from data

3. separate tempdb from data/logs

4. separate heavily used filegroups

separate is separate physical drives, not separate drive letters.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (11/1/2010)

What's the D: drive?

Ideally you want to, IMHO, do this:

1. separate data from backups

2. Separate logs from data

3. separate tempdb from data/logs

4. separate heavily used filegroups

separate is separate physical drives, not separate drive letters.

Sir,

1. You mean, separate drive letters no meaning?

2. How to separate physical drives? Can you elaborate more?

• I'm not sure what you're asking. Your English isn't really making sense to me.

Maybe this will help.

If I have 2 drives in my server, set up in a Raid 1 array, I have one physical drive. Even if I declare a c: drive and a d: drive, all traffic goes to these drives and I don't necessarily get any performance benefits from the two logical drives. The c: and d: are logical drives.

If I have 5 drives in my servers, and drives 1 and 2 are RAID 1 and drives 3, 4, and 5 are a RAID 5 array, I have two physically separate arrays.

If I have a SAN and I get 3 LUNs presented to me, they may or may not be built on the same set of physical, actual disk drives. You would have to ask the SAN administrator, but I am of the camp that finds LUNs built on the same set of drives worsens performance.

I'm not sure what you're asking. Your English isn't really making sense to me.

Maybe this will help.

If I have 2 drives in my server, set up in a Raid 1 array, I have one physical drive. Even if I declare a c: drive and a d: drive, all traffic goes to these drives and I don't necessarily get any performance benefits from the two logical drives. The c: and d: are logical drives.

If I have 5 drives in my servers, and drives 1 and 2 are RAID 1 and drives 3, 4, and 5 are a RAID 5 array, I have two physically separate arrays.

If I have a SAN and I get 3 LUNs presented to me, they may or may not be built on the same set of physical, actual disk drives. You would have to ask the SAN administrator, but I am of the camp that finds LUNs built on the same set of drives worsens performance.

Sorry sir my bad English.

Currently, I've

1. 1 Dedicated Server for SQL Server Enterprise Edition (64 bit)

2. X: volume with RAID1 in SAN storage

To make it the best performance, How to fully utilised it?

• Again, the drive letters don't matter. What underlies the drive letters? How many disks under each one and in what format?

Again, the drive letters don't matter. What underlies the drive letters? How many disks under each one and in what format?

Sir,

Currently, my SAN storage have 8 disk. I can configure as RAID0, RAID1, and RAID5

Hope this help

• That's only part of the question. Did you not read my post? The Raid setup matters, not just the disks. For a SAN, it can also depend on SAN configuration.

A few posts, but ultimately there isn't a set answer to give you. There is guidance, but you need to read and learn a bit about the implications of making choices one way or the other.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic988307-391-1.aspx

http://sqlserverpedia.com/wiki/Configuring_Database_Files_for_Optimal_Perfomance

http://sqlcat.com/whitepapers/archive/2009/05/11/disk-partition-alignment-best-practices-for-sql-server.aspx

• tq sir. your guidance is my inspiration

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply