Need advice on how to set this up

• Here's my issue...

I need to assign a code based on a combination of ProductID and 4 other flags. The 4 flags are all completely independent of each other, and each combination of ProductID and flag (or flags) will have a different code.

Should I create a table with the codes for all possible combinations or should I use a whole bunch of 'if' statements in a stored proc to determine the code to be assigned?

Any help would be appreciated.

• I think going with the ifs might be the best solution as I don't see any advantages of keeping all possible product codes in the db. Maybe you could hide the logic into a function so that you can reuse that code everywhere in the application.

• Either approach ought to work.  The "best" one is the one that gives you the best trade-off between performance and easy-to-read code.  IF or CASE logic is fine if it doesn't get too snarly.   A look-up table is fine if it isn't too hard to populate.  You also have the option of doing the user-defined function thing.  Sorry if this is too general to be of much help, but really I don't think there are any hard and fast rules on this sort of thing.

• Here's an example for 1 product (1 have 12, total)

ProdIDFlag1Flag2Flag3Flag4Code
    11000A
    11100B
    11010C
    11001D
    11011E
    11110F
    11111G
    11101H
    10100I
    10110J
    10101L
    10010M
    10011N
    10001O

Wouldn't the IF logic be hairy and hard to follow with that many combinations? I don't know the differences in overhead and performance between selecting from a table and having a stored proc run through a large number of conditions.

• Go with the lookup table. It's gonna be the simplest way here.

• Will do.  Thanks!

• Also might I suggest that you move from A, B, C... codes to 1,2,3 >> which would be the equivalent bitmask value of the flags? That way you don't get screwed with missing letters when you need 1 more flag. Also it allows you to index a numeric value that is a good candidate for indexes.

• Thanks for the tip. The A,B,C was just an example so the missing letter thing won't be an issue, but unfortunately the real Codes are alpha-numeric and I can't change that. These values are getting uploaded to a host system and I have to send them what they need.

• Ok. Good luck with that project.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply