Named Pipes and TCP/IP

• We have a 3rd party application used as our helpdesk case logging tool. The application was deployed to about 200 machines. When connecting to SQL server during logging in stage, we specify a DNS name rather than a server name. We found a problem that some client machines which use Named Pipes Network library don't resolve the DNS name, whilst machines using TCP/IP Network Library can. The Named Pipes machines have to use the server name directly in stead. They can still ping the DNS name.

I'm thinking of setting the default DB connection Network Library to TCP/IP on the client machines (WIN2000 Work Station), but I don't know if it's the right thought. Also, I don't done where to modify such settings.

Can anyone advise please. Thanks. YQ

• This should be OK.

Upgrade your MDAC as well if you can.

From XP onwards, MDAC is part of the OS.

I've come across this before on some of our older Win2k SP2 servers that attempt to use Named Pipees to connect to SQL and can't as we only use tcp/ip.

I'd have checked this automatically a few years ago, standard connection trouble shooting, but it is getting easier these days

• Use client network library (C:\WINNT\system32\cliconfg.exe) to set the TCP/IP as preferred protocol.

• Thanks qbn and Allen,

I did a bit research on the issue and found that Named Pipes is the default Network Library for WinNT and above when connecting to SQL server. There is also known bug in MDAC which sometimes doesn't install all library files. I'm going to try Allen's suggestion next week. Will post outcomes.

YQ 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply