multiple sorting

• Hello All!

My report has columns Date, Year, Model, Cost, Color etc.

I have users that will require the abililty to sort reports by multiple criteria all at once.

Is it possible to configure a primary AND secondary AND maybe a THIRD sort in Reporting Services?

For example: Sort the columns as: Date, then Model and then Cost at the same time? This sorting criteria will change based on the user and the info sought. So another user may want to sort on Cost and Year, while another person wants Color,Cost, Year etc..

Currently, as far as I know, Reporting Services limits you to one column sort at a time in a report.

Thanks in advance !

Scott

• I've never done this myself, but if you're using Reporting Services 2005, here is an article that might help out.

http://blogs.msdn.com/bimusings/archive/2005/07/12/437991.aspx

Good luck.

• ssrs 2005 is not limited to one column sort.

• You can achieve this in a number of different ways..

The question is where do you want to put the processing. If you create a dynamic dataset and parameters, then the sorting will be on the SQL server.. It's pretty easy to do it this way..

The dataset would be an =iif() clause.. and test parameters.. Probably not one of the greatest methods, but possible.. Furthermore, you can use regular IF clauses in the procedure backends. This too would put the sorting on the backend..

You can also use parameterized dataset filters.. This would place the sorting on the front end.. again, parameters, it's using parameters..

OR

You can use groups and end user sorting (new in sql 2005). You would have to use groups in order to get the AND sort. End user sorting, be default is OR only..

Hopefully, this is helpful..

• What I've done to allow different users to sort differently is to create 3 report parameters for sort (1st, 2nd, 3rd) and list the fields to sort by in each parameter. Then in the sort for the report or in the report datasource stored proc, I use those parameters to sort. If you need more help with this I can try to put together a little step by step, but somebody has probably already done as such. Just do a search for reporting services dynamic sorting or grouping. Good luck.

-Megan

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply