Multiple backup devices/parallel backup

• I am currently backing up my database to 2 remote locations (servers within the lan) and to it's own server. This happens with 3 different jobs at different times. I want to do this with one job to 3 different locations so my trans logs can be restored with any 3 full backups not just the lastest one. I tried adding 2 backup devices (that work) and one local file directory to one job but I get an error: Microsoft SQL-DMO (ODBC SQLState:4200)  The Volume on device 'Device Name' is not part of a mutiple family media set. Backup with format can be used to form a new media set. Should I run 3 different jobs at the same time or can I accomplish this with one job???

• If I understand what you are trying to do, I would suggest backing up to the local machine, and then ftp or copy the backup files to the remote machines.

Steve

• As far as i know parallel backup does not simply back the same content to different media, it _divides_ the content between the media to speed up the backup.

Therefore you will need each and every medium to to a restore.

If you want to back up the same content to different locations you should back up local and then - in the same job - copy the backup to your locations.

Karl

Best regards
    karl

• Karl, I will try that. I am also going to try and backup all three jobs at the same time. The problem is from what I can see with my infant sql eyes is when I attempt to do a restore with the full backup and then transaction logs that I can only use the last (of the 3) full backup to be able to apply the trans. logs. This kinda of defeats the purpose of having 3 backups in 3 different places that can all restore using the Trans logs. The more I think about my jobs the more screwy it gets.

11:05 DB1--->SVR1

11:10 DB1--->SVR2

11:15 DB1--->SVR3

Then on every hour

DB1 Trans Log--->SVR1,SVR2,SVR3  which all do not finish on the same time

If I understand it correctly I would have to restore using the last full backup and then each translog on different servers in consectutive order. What a mess! I will try what you said but if that 1 job fails then everything does too. I want to have redundent backups. Thanks I will let you know the outcome.

• SQL Server 2005 will support mirrored backups.  In the meantime, you can try our product, MiniSQLBackup, that can perform mirrored backups now.  In addition, the files are compressed and can optionally be encrypted.  Give the trial version a spin and contact me if you have any queries.

SQL BAK Explorer - read SQL Server backup file details without SQL Server.
    Supports backup files created with SQL Server 2005 up to SQL Server 2017.

• What i do is backup TA-logs with truncate and then backup DB1 at 20:00. This backup is then restored on the standby-server.

Also i backup TA-logs every 15 minutes, without cutting the TL-log. All TA-backups go into one file, which is then copied to my standby-server.

On the standby-server i'm reading the headers of the backups, compare the LSN's of backup and database, and if they match i restore this TA-backup, with a timelag of 120 minutes.

This i do in a loop, so it does'nt matter, at which point the database actually is, i always get the matching TA-Log backup.

There's no reason why this procedure could not be adapted to 3 standby-servers, you just have to leave enough time between TA-backups, so all servers can be updated...

Karl

Best regards
    karl

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply