MSMQ on SQL Server

• We have a SQL 2008 Active/Passive Cluster, and we require a MSMQ to copy from Queue to SQL Server DB. I have tried setting this up on a separate machine but the SQL Server and MSMQ machines are (and need to be) in different Domains, which is causing problems with permissions which i cannot find solution for.

The Developers have suggested putting the MSMQ on the SQL Cluster, but I am unsure if this is a good idea, has anyone done this and give any reasons why it would or wouldn't be a good idea.

The Cluster already has 4 Instances, although it is a 4 processor Quad-core with 64Gb Ram. but i guess the MSMQ would need more than the 4GB currently allocated to the OS.

Would the MSMQ be Clustered so would it need a dedicated drive for the Queue?

Thanks

Andy

• Hi

Andrew Collins (3/9/2010)

We have a SQL 2008 Active/Passive Cluster, and we require a MSMQ to copy from Queue to SQL Server DB. I have tried setting this up on a separate machine but the SQL Server and MSMQ machines are (and need to be) in different Domains, which is causing problems with permissions which i cannot find solution for.

When you say different domains do you mean domains in different forests? Is there a trust between the forests? If the domains are in the same forest then I wouldn't expect you to see any problems.

The Developers have suggested putting the MSMQ on the SQL Cluster, but I am unsure if this is a good idea, has anyone done this and give any reasons why it would or wouldn't be a good idea.

Nothing wrong with this approach. Often used like this where MSMQ is a buffer for updates to the SQL database.

The Cluster already has 4 Instances, although it is a 4 processor Quad-core with 64Gb Ram. but i guess the MSMQ would need more than the 4GB currently allocated to the OS.

MSMQ doesn't need much memory, especially compared to SQL! 4GB should be more thasn enough.

Would the MSMQ be Clustered so would it need a dedicated drive for the Queue?

Yes, MSMQ requires a drive for message storage.

Cheers

John Breakwell (MSFT)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply