MSDE SP4 Install Problems

• I am trying to apply MSDE SP4 to an install with a current version of SP3 and I am receiving blank password errors even though I am using a valid sa password. (I can log in manually with this password).  If I remove the password from the sa account and use the setup argument for a blank password, I receive script errors.

I have tried this on different computers with Windows 2003 Server SP1 and XP SP2 and they all produce the same errors. 

Also, after running the blank password setup, a version query returns 8.00.2039 which is the SP4 version.  I’m not sure what I am missing with the scripts that didn’t execute.

I have searched everywhere with no luck, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Using the following syntax with a valid password, I receive the following error.

C:\sql2ksp4\MSDE\setup.exe /upgradesp SQLRUN UPGRADEUSER=sa UPGRADEPWD=xxxxxxx SECURITYMODE=SQL /L*v c:\msde4.log

An error was encountered during connection to server: 1

Ending custom action UpgDetectBlankSaLogin().

Action ended 18:38:59: UpgDetectBlankSaLogin.2D02443E_7002_4C0B_ABC9_EAB2C064397B. Return value 3

If I change the sa account so that it has a blank password and use this syntax, the install seems to run to near completion, and then I receive a popup that says “Unable to run the script files”, and the error below in the setup log.

C:\SQL2KSP4\MSDE\SETUP.EXE /upgradesp SQLRUN SECURITYMODE=SQL BLANKSAPWD=1 REBOOT=FORCE /L*v c:\msdeSP4.log

Running upgrade script 1 of 12 (sp1_serv_uni)

Running script :

-n -b -d master -Slpc:TERM9655N -i "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Install\sp1_serv_uni.sql" -o "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Install\sp1_serv_uni.out" -E

osql.exe did not return successfully.

First attempt at executing script sp1_serv_uni.sql failed; retrying.

Running script :

-n -b -d master -Slpc:TERM9655N -i "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Install\sp1_serv_uni.sql" -o "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Install\sp1_serv_uni.out" -E

osql.exe did not return successfully.

Second attempt at executing script sp1_serv_uni.sql failed; aborting.

RunScripts process returned an error.

MSI (c) (BC:A8) [07:26:05:691]: Font created.  Charset: Req=0, Ret=0, Font: Req=MS Shell Dlg, Ret=MS Shell Dlg

Unable to run the script files

MSI (s) (D0!44) [07:27:46:856]: Product: Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine -- Unable to run the script files

Error code = 1

MSI (s) (D0!44) [07:27:46:856]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Modifying SQLExitCode.2D02443E_7002_4C0B_ABC9_EAB2C064397B property. Its current value is '0'. Its new value: '60009'.

Action ended 7:27:46: ExecuteSPScripts.3682AECB_748A_487A_AB77_6833664B92AD. Return value 3.

• Please post output of this file sp1_serv_uni.out. Below is the location on your machine.

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Install\sp1_serv_uni.out

It will give more clear picture.

• Ok, looking at the sp1_serv_uni.out file, it appears to be trying to use Windows authentication.  This is the text from that file:

"Login failed for user 'MYSERVERNAME\Administrator'"

By the way, this same syntax runs the SP3 update perfectly.

Thanks
  • ......Anyone??

• Does the 'builtin/administrator' login exist in the SQL server?  If not, put it back and try again.  I run into the same issue and after I put the 'builtin/administrator' account back, the install run through fine.  Hope this would help.

• One thing to add: the 'builtin/administrator' login should have a role of 'system administrator'

• Try workaround given by Crystal

'MYSERVERNAME\Administrator' is not having rights to login to SQL server

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply