MSDB stuck in recovery mode

• I am having issues in my production environment where I just noticed that my msdb database is in recovery pending state and seems like backup has failed and now SQL Agent is gone from SSMS.

This is the only error log in SQL Log:

Source Backup Message BACKUP failed to complete the command BACKUP DATABASE msdb. Check the backup application log for detailed messages.

The error in Event Viewer:

1.BACKUP failed to complete the command BACKUP DATABASE msdb. Check the backup application log for detailed messages.

2.Sqllib error: OLEDB Error encountered calling ICommandText::Execute. hr = 0x80040e14. SQLSTATE: 42000, Native Error: 3013 Error state: 1, Severity: 16 Source: Microsoft SQL Server Native Client 11.0 Error message: BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally. SQLSTATE: 42000, Native Error: 945 Error state: 2, Severity: 14 Source: Microsoft SQL Server Native Client 11.0 Error message: Database 'msdb' cannot be opened due to inaccessible files or insufficient memory or disk space. See the SQL Server errorlog for details.

Please this is a PRD env't, your thoughts is greatly appreciated.

• Yeah SQLAgent can't work without MSDB so if MSDB is missing, then quite rightly so would SQL Agent.

Have you checked from sys.master_files the path to MSDB?

Have you check that those paths actually exist still?

Have you checked that the service has permissions to those paths and files?

Have you checked that there is enough space on disk?

Have you checked that you're not using the default 2PB of RAM in the configuration and have memory exhaustion?

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply