MS03-031 Experienced Write Locks duringInstall

• I did a quick search after I ran into this problem but did not find any results here so I thought I would post it in case anyone else was up late at night wondering what the heck was going on with their MS03-031 patch installation.

I would very much like to blame this on Microsoft but this was all me. I tried to run the security patch on a server and got a failure. I viewed the log and there were several lines indicating that the files the patch was trying to replace were WRITE LOCKed. I went and looked at the files to see if the Read Only flag was set but that wasn't it. It was around 15 minutes before I figured out what the problem was. Had I mentioned that Enterprise Manager was up and running on the machine? Yep, that was it. All those write locked files were DLL's being used by EM.

So, don't use EM when you're trying to patch a server

[font="Tahoma"]Bryant E. Byrd, BSSE MCDBA MCAD[/font]
    Business Intelligence Administrator
    MSBI Administration Blog

• I've had similiar patch or SP installation problems with the SQL monitor (running in the tray), MOM if it kicks in to do SQL monitoring while your patching and multiple instances of SQL still running on same machine or any machine in a cluster.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply