MS SQL 2000 Operating System Compatibility

• I have a server - Windows 2003 Server - when I try to install MS SQL 2000, I get this message

MS SQL Server 2000 Standard Edition server component is not supported on this operating system. Only client components will be available for installation.

Please advise.

Thank You

• Are you installing SQL Server 2000 SP1 or earlier? Maybe you should try using a CD with SQL Server 2000 SP2. I never had any problems with that one.

• Are you sure you're installing on W2003 SERVER?!

Greetz,
    Hans Brouwer

• On Win 2003 you do get an warning about the service pack level but not a client error.

It's not a trial verison of Win 2003 or something odd is it?

Or as Hans suggested - are you sure it's Win 2003?

Cheers

• The Microsoft Way is to told you that SQL 2000 on Windows 2003 is not supported.

You can use it any way, but the best is:

Ignore the message, install sql 2000 on w2k3 Server then install sp3a for SQL2000. This way is also supported by Microsoft.

Kind Regards

Michael

• "The Microsoft Way is to told you that SQL 2000 on Windows 2003 is not supported"

Michael,

don't know why you say that:

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/evaluation/sysreqs/2000/default.asp

If we're talking Standard Edition, then, W2003 does support it.

Sheba, what edition of SQL Server do you want to install?

Greetz,
    Hans Brouwer

• I experienced exactly the same.  I re-installed sql2000 using the original SQL2000 disc - to a new win 2003 server.

I ignored the message and downloaded the latest sp for sql, installed  etc  and it works fine.

Suggest that Sheba does the same .

Trust me - Im a plumber - it'll work!

• "MS SQL Server 2000 Standard Edition server component is not supported on this operating system. Only client components will be available for installation."

I see this message only when using a Standard Edition to install client utilities on a workstation. Installing the database engine is greyed out. I fail to see how you can still install the database engine if this is the case. If the installoption for the database engine is NOT greyed out, then this message indeed is an error.

I have installed SQL2K only once on a W2003 and did not experience this problem, hence my question: what versions are in play here?

Greetz,
    Hans Brouwer

• I was installing MS SQL Server 2000 Standard Edition on Win 2003 Server- ignored the error message and proceeded - did not have a problem. The Microsoft Site does say that Windows 2003 OS is supported, however has a not saying that SP3 is necessary with Win 2003.

Thank You all for all the useful info.

• http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329329

For information of your problem... And: recommendation to install SP3a after installation of SQL 2000 on Windows 2003.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply