moving user and system databases, MS KB article 224071

• Hello,

I would like to move a Sharepoint DB and the corressponding system databases onto different drives on the same server.  I have also been using the MSDN articles on moving user and system databases.  However, I noticed the MS KB article 224071 states that once the model database is moved using the procedure outlined, you will not be able to access any user databases afterwards.  Is this true??  Once I start moving the system databases for the Sharepoint instance the Sharepoint user databases are no longer accessible??  Thanks in advance for any responses.

Karl

• Hi Karl

The note is about the effect of the trace flag in the previous line (see underlined text):

To move the model database, you must start SQL Server together with the -c option, the -m option, and trace flag 3608. Trace flag 3608 prevents SQL Server from recovering any database except the master database.

Note You will not be able to access any user databases after you do this. You must not perform any operations, other than the following steps, while you use this trace flag.

This is necessary to be able to move the system db's other then master. Once you are finished with moving the system databases, you should start SQL Server with it's previous options and trace flags (write those down before you begin this procedure).

Also make a backup of all your databases, including system before you begin this procedure.

You can find me on LinkedIn.
    I support The Programmer's Bill of Rights.

MCITP, MCDBA, MCSD

• Ok, so then the Sharepoint user databases will be ok once I return everything back to normal?  Thanks for your help.

Karl

• You can move all your system databases in a single SQL session. 

1) Stop SQL Server.

2) Start SQL with a NET START /T3608 command.

3) Run the ALTER statements to re-configure your system databases.  Do not ALTER the resource or distmdl databases.

4) Stop SQL.

5) Copy the system database file to their new locations.  Copy the Resource and distmdl files to the master.mdf folder.

6) Start SQL as normal.

Note:  The mdf and ldf files can be on different disks, apart from the resource DB and distmdl.  Both the mdf and ldf files for the resource DB and distmdl must exist in the same folder as the master.mdf file.  When you apply a SP, new resource DB and distmdl files are written to the master.mdf folder, and you will have some difficult troubleshooting to do if the old Resource and distmdl files were elsewhere.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• Thanks as well for the help and tips- I appreciate it.

Karl

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply