Moving production database to test database3 every days.

• Hi,

What is the best way to move a Production database to a test one ever days after processing is done ?

I am thinking about backup/restore as the simplest way. Will you recommend log ship or replication?

Thanks

• I would go with the Backup/restore route as well. This has the benefit that nothing that happens in your test environment can have an effect on your production environment. And, you can make data (or even ddl) updates in your test environment.

My biggest problem would be with the schedule. You will almost certainly have this scripted out, but it will almost equally certainly go off in the middle of some critical testing round.

• Rem70Rem (2/28/2014)

Hi,

What is the best way to move a Production database to a test one ever days after processing is done ?

I am thinking about backup/restore as the simplest way. Will you recommend log ship or replication?

Thanks

Best approach would be Backup\restore on a scheduled basis.

--

SQLBuddy

• Rem70Rem (2/28/2014)

Hi,

Thanks

Do you need the test database read only or read\write?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Hi,

The "test" version needs to have the same right as the production one, so read/write.

Thanks all for your help.

• Rem70Rem (3/3/2014)

Hi,

The "test" version needs to have the same right as the production one, so read/write.

Thanks all for your help.

If the test DB is R\W, You can't use LShipping\DB Mirroring. Replication can be used but it's good for object level replication.

Backup\Restore would be best for this situation ..

--

SQLBuddy

• Backup/restore for me as well.

I might script this as a daily process that moves the latest backup from production to test, but doesn't necessarily restore it. This would make it fast if you need to ad hoc restore any day.

• We have similar process, when we copy full backup on the weekend and diff backup(s) on the weekdays...

• We have several databases that the apps folks want refreshed on a scheduled basis. Some weekly and some monthly. Just create a backup job and schedule it and then a restore job to restore it along with all of the steps to recreate users access to the test db.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply