Moving MSDE instance to another disk

• My development workstation has a relatively small partition for C: and a large one for D:. I originally set up a MSDE instance (2000) on C: and want to move everything to D: because I am running out of space on C:

I've read about detaching and re-attaching the database, but in this case I want to move the whole instance. Actually, I'd like to move the whole MSDE engine so it only runs off of D:, but I don't want to lose any of my instances, which I'm afraid might happen if I just detach, uninstall MSDE, reinstall MSDE on D: and re-attach.

All this is leading up installing the SQL Server 2005 dev version management tools on D: - it's telling me my default SQL Server path is c: and I don't have enough space. I installed Visual Studio 2005 on D: but I think it might have put the SQL Server Express 2005 engine on C:.

• hi,

you are unfortunately out of luck as, if you like to move the entire binaries and data files to another disk you only have to uninstall the instance, re-install it specifying DATADIR="....." TARGETDIR="..." new folder positions to the setup.exe MSDE boostrap installer.. you can then move your user's database files to the new folder and reattach them, but you'll have to recreate all logins, jobs, alerts and the like... there's no way to "move" an instance binaries files without uninstalling it..

--

Andrea Montanari (Microsoft MVP - SQL Server)

http://www.asql.biz/DbaMgr.shtm        http://italy.mvps.org

DbaMgr2k ver 0.16.0  -  DbaMgr ver 0.61.0

(my vb6+sql-dmo little try to provide MS MSDE 1.0 and MSDE 2000 a visual interface)

• Fortunately I am in luck! I had one instance created on C:, the first one I did before I knew how to target a different drive, and others on D:. I was creating separate instance for each of my client's data, and later found out it was just as easy to use one instance with separate databases. So I just attached the database to the instance on D: and uninstalled the one on C:

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply