moving from SQL Server local disk storage to SANs Storage

• Hi all,

I have SQl Server 2005 sp3 and need to move from local storage to SAN storage ?? pleae advise

what are the steps I need to follow ?

Thanks in davnace

• This all depends on your SAN guys, If they can duplicate what is on your local disks, then they should do that.

This is where it can get a bit tricky......

Record the disk signatures of your local disks

Remove the drive letter allocation to your local storage and present the LUNS to your server giving them the same drive letter they are replacing. This should work.

If not update the disk signatures of the LUNS to duplicate the disks that were removed.

As with all these reconfigs, make sure that SQL is not running when messing witht he disks and take an image of your server prior to doing anything.

• Do you need to move the installation, or just the databases?

• David Sorauer (6/22/2010)

Do you need to move the installation, or just the databases?

Move the databases to the SAN storage and make SQL Server use the new SAN storage instaed of local storage

• This method saved me hours when I moved databases to the SAN:

http://sqlcat.com/msdnmirror/archive/2010/04/05/moving-the-transaction-log-file-of-the-mirror-database.aspx

Fantastic that mirroring doesn't need to be broken (if you are using it)...

• btw, the same method works for the data file as well as the log file.

• David Sorauer (6/23/2010)

This method saved me hours when I moved databases to the SAN:

http://sqlcat.com/msdnmirror/archive/2010/04/05/moving-the-transaction-log-file-of-the-mirror-database.aspx

Fantastic that mirroring doesn't need to be broken (if you are using it)...

MY problem Is how to configuer the SQL Server to use the SAN storage ? do I need to add a new fiber card ???

• I'm no Windows administrator, but I suppose you would need a fiber card for the server to talk to the SAN.

There is no specific configuration needed in SQL Server to use the SAN- as long as windows can see the new drive letters allocated on the SAN, you can configure SQL Server databases to use those drives as mentioned previously.

You can also change the default database location to use the SAN drives.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply