Move From Developer Edition To Express?

• Hi all, I am learning about SQL Server using the developer edition.  I have created some tables, imported a bit of data, and have linked some MS Access databases to it.  But, someone told me that I should not be using the Developer edition, and I am wondering why.  I will be using this in a multi-user environment, with Windows logins through the Access front end.  
    Will I have problems using the Dev edition, or the Express?  I also want to automate some tasks, such as backups.
    I don't want to put in a lot of time on this and find out I can't do what I would like to.

Thanks.

So, to follow up on the title: how would i move to express if i had to?

• mjdemaris - Monday, October 2, 2017 3:47 PM

Hi all, I am learning about SQL Server using the developer edition.  I have created some tables, imported a bit of data, and have linked some MS Access databases to it.  But, someone told me that I should not be using the Developer edition, and I am wondering why.  I will be using this in a multi-user environment, with Windows logins through the Access front end.  
    Will I have problems using the Dev edition, or the Express?  I also want to automate some tasks, such as backups.
    I don't want to put in a lot of time on this and find out I can't do what I would like to.

Thanks.

Developer Edition is licensed only for design, development, test and demonstration purposes. In particular, it is not licensed for anything which may be considered live or production usage.
    Express Edition, on the other hand, is available for production use, though its features are limited when compared with Development Edition.
    The easiest way to move to Express is to install it on a server somewhere and then backup/restore the work you've already done there.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence
    - Martin Rees
    The absence of consumable DDL, sample data and desired results is, however, evidence of the absence of my response
    - Phil Parkin

• Is it possible to install it alongside the Dev edition?

Hi all, I am learning about SQL Server using the developer edition.  I have created some tables, imported a bit of data, and have linked some MS Access databases to it.  But, someone told me that I should not be using the Developer edition, and I am wondering why.  I will be using this in a multi-user environment, with Windows logins through the Access front end.  

Thanks.

The developer edition is meant for development, not for production use. So it doesn't sound like the developer edition is appropriate for your situation. In terms of what version you should use, that really depends on a lot of information that we don't have and you would likely be the best to determine what edition works for your requirements. It depends on what features you need to use, size of databases, what you need in terms of resources such as RAM, CPU, etc. I'd go through the documentation for the list of Editions and features to figure out what will work for your situation:
    Editions and supported features of SQL Server 2016

Sue

• Developer Edition can't be used in a production system. For example, you can't use Developer edition to host your organization's public website or even an internal application like timesheets. Starting with SQL Server 2016, the Express Edition is almost feature complete with the Enterprise Edition, except for things like Always On Availability. I think you should be OK as far as feature compatibility, however, Express Edition imposes database size, memory, and CPU limits. That said, Express Edition is perfectly capable of supporting a handful of users or even more, depending on the workload.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• mjdemaris - Monday, October 2, 2017 4:04 PM

Is it possible to install it alongside the Dev edition?

Yes, that is no problem
    😎

Are you aware that there's no SQL Agent on the Express version, so you'd have to use some other scheduler (e.g. Windows Task Scheduler- I haven't tried it myself) to automate the backups?

It's not foolproof, but you can check if you're using features that are restricted to Enterprise or Developer Edition (at the database level only) using:

SELECT feature_name FROM sys.dm_db_persisted_sku_features

If you are using restricted features you may find that you can't restore your database to the Express Edition instance. As Sue has already pointed out, you may hit restrictions for RAM usage, etc. Easiest thing to do is try it.

• Beatrix Kiddo - Tuesday, October 3, 2017 7:36 AM

Are you aware that there's no SQL Agent on the Express version, so you'd have to use some other scheduler (e.g. Windows Task Scheduler- I haven't tried it myself) to automate the backups?

I've used Windows Task Scheduler running SQLCMD often for express edition databases, it works quite well, the only thing I miss is SQL Agent's ability to send an e-mail notification on job failure.

Another thing to consider is that Express edition doesn't even have the ability to use DBMail.  You would need some kind of alternative such as a CLR assembly to handle e-mail functionality such as described here:
    https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/1795/send-email-from-sql-server-express-using-a-clr-stored-procedure/

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply