move data file to centralized server

• hello

i need to copy the a common database on different servers (63 servers ) to

SASI-ARCHIVE1 server.

i don't know how to do.

to have 63 different copies of the MDF file on the archive server

please give me some idea or any script.

or how to give location for data as well as log files that point to SASI-ARCHIVE1.

please help me ASAP

• what is the goal?

to have 63 different copies of the MDF file on the archive server?

to have 63 different copies of a backup of the database on the archive server?

to have 1 copy of the DB on the archive server which is hosted by 63 different servers?

please give more details

• to have 63 different copies of the MDF file on the archive server

so we can clean up physical boxes on different servers

• you will firstly need to detach the database due to SQL holding a lock on the file which will prevent you from doing anything with it (sp_detach_db), you will then need to move it to the archive server, manual file move, dos shell script or something along them lines. Once copites then you will need to attach the db back to the server using sp_attach_db.

you will need to make sure that the SQL accounts running the SQL services on all 63 servers have modify access to the archive server otherwise you will encounter permission errors.

also how often does data in this database have CRUD statements run against it as you will add network latency for each physical read of the data from the DB which could have a HUGE performance issue

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply