more than one column modification in a sql table

• can we modify more than two columns in a sql table with the alter statement?

• I don't think you can.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Yes, you can. I am including a partial copy of the ALTER TABLE statement from BOL:

ALTER TABLE [ database_name . [ schema_name ] . | schema_name . ] table_name

{

ALTER COLUMN column_name

{

[ type_schema_name. ] type_name [ ( { precision [ , scale ]

| max | xml_schema_collection } ) ]

[ COLLATE collation_name ]

[ NULL | NOT NULL ]

| {ADD | DROP } { ROWGUIDCOL | PERSISTED | NOT FOR REPLICATION}

}

| [ WITH { CHECK | NOCHECK } ] ADD

{

|

|

} [ ,...n ]

If you notice the [,...n] after the curly brace, that indicates you can put in multiple ALTER COLUMN statements in the ALTER TABLE.

• It's not possible to ALTER more than 1 column in a single ALTER TABLE statement, you have to write 2 different alter statements.

Straight from BOL:

ALTER TABLE table_name

{ [ ALTER COLUMN column_name

{DROP DEFAULT

| SET DEFAULT constant_expression

| IDENTITY [ ( seed , increment ) ]

}

| ADD

So, there is no placeholder indicating that the item can be repeated n number of times.

--Ramesh

• Now, i dont know the relevance. But i am tempted to ask, is it possible in Oracle?

• Lynn Pettis (3/17/2009)

Yes, you can. I am including a partial copy of the ALTER TABLE statement from BOL:

ALTER TABLE [ database_name . [ schema_name ] . | schema_name . ] table_name

{

ALTER COLUMN column_name

{

[ type_schema_name. ] type_name [ ( { precision [ , scale ]

| max | xml_schema_collection } ) ]

[ COLLATE collation_name ]

[ NULL | NOT NULL ]

| {ADD | DROP } { ROWGUIDCOL | PERSISTED | NOT FOR REPLICATION}

}

| [ WITH { CHECK | NOCHECK } ] ADD

{

|

|

} [ ,...n ]

If you notice the [,...n] after the curly brace, that indicates you can put in multiple ALTER COLUMN statements in the ALTER TABLE.

Lynn, I think the placeholder is for ADD option & not for the ALTER option.

--Ramesh

• Lynn, have you tried it? I just tried all of these options:

create table #T (

ID int identity primary key,

Col1 tinyint,

Col2 tinyint);

alter table #T

alter column Col1 smallint, alter column Col2 smallint;

alter table #T

alter column Col1 smallint, column Col2 smallint;

alter table #T

alter column Col1 smallint, Col2 smallint;

Every single one of those gets "Line 2: Incorrect syntax near ','." Level 15 error. Table does not get altered.

However, this does work just fine:

alter table #T

alter column Col1 smallint;

So, either I'm reading this wrong, or it doesn't work that way.

I tried all of these in 2000 and 2005. Didn't try them in 2008, since I don't have that available to me right now.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• I'll give it a try. If it doesn't work, then I think there is a problem with the documentation. I was just reading it as they say to.

• nabajyoti.b (3/17/2009)

Now, i dont know the relevance. But i am tempted to ask, is it possible in Oracle?

Yes, it's possible in Oracle. This should work:

ALTER TABLE SomeTable

MODIFY ( SomeCol1 NUMBER(3,2), SomeCol2 NUMBER(5,2) )

--Ramesh

• I humbly apologize, I just came to the same conclusion that the repeating place holder is for adding new columns.

• The documentation is correct - just very hard to read. Lynn - the [,...n] you saw is under the ADD and DROP sections, and not the ALTER.

That being said - there's a very straightforward way to ALTER two columns at the same time (which is what SQL Server does when you modify two columns in the UI anyway): create a new table, copy the data into it, drop the old and rename the new table to the old name.

I realize it's not as tidy as doing this within the ALTER TABLE command - but it's going to happen that way anyway....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Or, you could do it the REALLY hard way, and type "Alter Table" twice. I know that's a lot of work, but it does get the job done.

alter table dbo.MyTable

alter column Col1 int;

alter table dbo.MyTable

alter column Co2 int;

Pretty rough, right? 🙂

Property of The Thread

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply