More and More Data Growth

• After writing this, I had a great conversation with someone that also mentioned we should think about bots. AI-like, or maybe scripted agents that interact with people or systems to perform tasks. Think semi-autonomous software processes that are a level above IoT type devices, but could exist in them, making decision on how to gather, produce, or manage data. Or something else.

We certainly have those items that may lead us into a new industrial revolution as well.

• And to think, we went to the moon and back on 32 thousand bytes of memory (I believe some of the early Apollo spacecraft had only 16K).

• lshanahan (6/13/2016)

And to think, we went to the moon and back on 32 thousand bytes of memory (I believe some of the early Apollo spacecraft had only 16K).

...I think most of the memory was ROM rather than RAM.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (6/10/2016)

After writing this, I had a great conversation with someone that also mentioned we should think about bots. AI-like, or maybe scripted agents that interact with people or systems to perform tasks. Think semi-autonomous software processes that are a level above IoT type devices, but could exist in them, making decision on how to gather, produce, or manage data. Or something else.

We certainly have those items that may lead us into a new industrial revolution as well.

Simple bots armed with grouping filters (or something similar to apply structure) that can be scaled up or down with access to Google's archive? Sounds dangerous and useful. I like it. 🙂

• Sorry a bit late on this thread. With regard to data collection I think people will have to look longer and harder at what data they really need to collect and for how long they need to keep it. Last year I was in my local library and when I went to the enquiry desk and they showed me their screen I noticed that my borrowing for the last few months was displayed on a scrollable window. When I asked about it they scrolled down it and had information for well over a decade. I then asked them what they kept the information for so long and was told it helped them with purchasing policy. I then asked why they had got only one copy of the latest Robert Goddard novel that they were no longer taking reservations ion it as there were now ten people on the waiting list for it when they had a number of new books that looked of limited appeal. The response to this was that purchasing new items for loan and reference was subject to their “diversity and equality and diversity” policy. When I tried to pursue the fact that in reality the data was next to useless as I had borrowed books no longer held in stock and they did not even use recent information for purchasing I was blanked! :rolleyes:

Supermarkets also collect a lot of data via loyalty cards but with friends we have our own policy of swapping the cards amongst ourselves. Being a diverse group their profiling software will hopefully be confused! 😀

• Eric M Russell (6/9/2016)

I predict that within 5 years the Internet of Things, Social Media, and Big Data will be passé. Companies just can't find a way to build profitable business model around it.

I certainly think that IoT will be less significant, Social Media may well go the way of ISPs (i.e. still about but less significant - AOL Time-Warner anyone?) and Big Data will just be some peoples' daily duties. Basically, I think there is some profit to be had in these but not to the level that analysis are predicting.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• Some ideas have their time. They may turn out to be bad ideas or be self evidently bad ideas but if their time has come don't stand in their way otherwise you will be flattened.

Sometimes you just have to let them have their car crash. Just make sure you have your clean up strategy ready.

A more diplomatic way of describing this phenomena is to point to the Gartner hype cycle

• Gary Varga (12/14/2016)

Eric M Russell (6/9/2016)

I predict that within 5 years the Internet of Things, Social Media, and Big Data will be passé. Companies just can't find a way to build profitable business model around it.

I certainly think that IoT will be less significant, Social Media may well go the way of ISPs (i.e. still about but less significant - AOL Time-Warner anyone?) and Big Data will just be some peoples' daily duties. Basically, I think there is some profit to be had in these but not to the level that analysis are predicting.

It would be interesting to know why you guys think IoT will not be successful? I mean, I don't work with anything IoT, but there is huge potential there. Japan for example has been doing similar for years in terms of totally connected homes that collect and analyze data. One example is toilets that analyze your waste, see if your sick, alert your doctor and potentially setup appointments.

Other examples, as this hardware develops and becomes cheaper and maybe even biodegradable, having digital advertisements on cereal boxes that run machine learning on the environment to display ads on the box. Maybe even connect to private Wifi and upload data about the impression etc.

So many possibilities that connect the world to everything else. Something that big is going to be hard to just crash and burn. It will just have a lot of failures because it's so big and so many poeple will try to cash in with poor ideas.

• xsevensinzx (12/14/2016)

Gary Varga (12/14/2016)

It would be interesting to know why you guys think IoT will not be successful? I mean, I don't work with anything IoT, but there is huge potential there. Japan for example has been doing similar for years in terms of totally connected homes that collect and analyze data. One example is toilets that analyze your waste, see if your sick, alert your doctor and potentially setup appointments.

Other examples, as this hardware develops and becomes cheaper and maybe even biodegradable, having digital advertisements on cereal boxes that run machine learning on the environment to display ads on the box. Maybe even connect to private Wifi and upload data about the impression etc.

So many possibilities that connect the world to everything else. Something that big is going to be hard to just crash and burn. It will just have a lot of failures because it's so big and so many poeple will try to cash in with poor ideas.

IoT enabled appliances that analyze your usage patterns and automatically schedule appointments or purchase orders ?

Consumer products that analyze the surrounding environment (the consumer's private home) upload impression data ?

Oh, yes, the marketing departments at big corporations are stroking themselves just thinking about it. But the thing is, this technology doesn't benefit the consumers. Consumers demand smart phones, because they can use them to make phone calls or browse the web from anywhere. But there is no consumer demand for IoT enabled toilets and cereal boxes.

Most consumers, when their refrigerator starts getting low, will shop for groceries wherever they can currently get the best deal. But the manufacturers of IoT enabled refrigerators don't want that; they want to channel consumers to retailers with whom they have partnerships. But consumers don't like being channeled. Consumers will jail-break their IoT refrigerator the same way they jail-break they're phones. One of the most common questions on iPhone or Android support forums is how to uninstall all the unwanted apps coming from the manufacturer.

With the exception of things like weather forecasting or stock market analysis, IoT is gee-whiz technology; a solution without a problem or business model to support it.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

Gary Varga (12/14/2016)

Hold on there xsevensinzx. I never said that IoT will not be successful. I said that "IoT will be less significant". I do believe it will be successful but in a much more limited way than being purported at the moment. We are being sold IoT the same way as I recall the digital home being sold to us in the 1970's (and probably earlier). At the moment I have two devices I ever access remotely; my laptop and recording requests sent to my DVR (via my selected broadcaster's systems). My wife is currently looking into Apple/Phillips lightbulbs.

Gaz

• Eric M Russell (12/14/2016)

xsevensinzx (12/14/2016)

Gary Varga (12/14/2016)

IoT enabled appliances that analyze your usage patterns and automatically schedule appointments or purchase orders ?

Consumer products that analyze the surrounding environment (the consumer's private home) upload impression data ?

Oh, yes, the marketing departments at big corporations are stroking themselves just thinking about it. But the thing is, this technology doesn't benefit the consumers. Consumers demand smart phones, because they can use them to make phone calls or browse the web from anywhere. But there is no consumer demand for IoT enabled toilets and cereal boxes.

Most consumers, when their refrigerator starts getting low, will shop for groceries wherever they can currently get the best deal. But the manufacturers of IoT enabled refrigerators don't want that; they want to channel consumers to retailers with whom they have partnerships. But consumers don't like being channeled. Consumers will jail-break their IoT refrigerator the same way they jail-break they're phones. One of the most common questions on iPhone or Android support forums is how to uninstall all the unwanted apps coming from the manufacturer.

With the exception of things like weather forecasting or stock market analysis, IoT is gee-whiz technology; a solution without a problem or business model to support it.

I don't necessarily agree there because most advertisement is not really benefiting us unless it's great product placement. The platform alone would be huge and would allow products and services to be advertised in new and disruptive ways.

One value I could see from a pure marketing standpoint is exclusive trailers of the new Marvel movie that's only available on Captain Crunch boxes. They don't even have to announce it, just let people buy it and discover it. They can then do a bigger play and release 40 different behind the scenes cips of like the new Deadpool movie like Wonka's golden tickets on random boxes around the world. Maybe even encrypt it with each one with a riddle they have to solve that takes them to the full reveal like an Alternate Reality Game (ARG). All for a purchase of Captain Crunch.

Outside of that, I think you're drastically undervaluing always connectected with the consumers. I imagine in the next 10 to 20 years we will have lamps that know when their light bulb is about to short out and consumers will be on monthly replacement plans that added on the purchase of the lamp to get lightbulb refills automatically shipped to their houses to save them on time from having to drop by the store to pick it up.

It goes beyond just the lamp here. You're talking about your washer knowing your low on detergent, refreg knowing your low on milk, air condition knowing it's not operational without service and so much more that some people would love to know before they come home to a hot house with a toddler on the way home from school etc.

We'll end up with dozens of micro services and up to two mailboxes. One for mail, one for box deliveries from Amazon, your local grocery store and more from these services.

To think all of that potential will just fizzle away is pretty silly.

• If we can leverage millions of interconnected IoT devices and BigData to better predict the weather or crime, then that's a big win. I'd love to wake up each morning and work on a project like that.

But advertisements on cereal boxes or smart refrigerators and toilets... not so much. We're already seeing public backlash regarding the amount and detail of data that corporations aggregate about us. I wouldn't bet my investment funds or career on that business model.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric M Russell (12/14/2016)

If we can leverage millions of interconnected IoT devices and BigData to better predict the weather or crime, then that's a big win. I'd love to wake up each morning and work on a project like that.

But advertisements on cereal boxes or smart refrigerators and toilets... not so much. We're already seeing public backlash regarding the amount and detail of data that corporations aggregate about us. I wouldn't bet my investment funds or career on that business model.

Unfortunately, the amount of work being done to drive more clicks is not going to change too much in the future. But, I do think you're not seeing the value of the toilet here. 😀 There was like a 15 year old boy (or whatever his age) that was very close to developing a test for pancreatic cancer simply by analyzing your urine or something to that nature. Being able to early detect that from your own toilet that lets you know or auto-schedules you a consultant could be a life saving invention along with cancer early detection that does not involve a MRI, bloodwork etc. That's huge IMHO.

...To think all of that potential will just fizzle away is pretty silly.

...and to think that everyone will be prepared to pay for these services is silly too. I am a little frugal and will not pay overinflated prices because my bulb is about to go or someone has drunk all the milk.

Gaz

• Trying to extract meaningful consumer information from ExaBytes of IoT data is about like trying to extract gold from sand. There are other companies like SurveyMonkey that have a much more direct and objective approach.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply