Monitor SQL Performance

• Hi All,

I need to capture sql performance [backup's, sql jobs, disk space, errors, memory consumption, db properties and space...... ] and allowed to be viewed as reports.

Have done this before using Microsoft's Performance Dashboard downloaded from

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=1D3A4A0D-7E0C-4730-8204-E419218C1EFC&displaylang=en

What I want to know is there any other way of doing this besides downloading the above project ?

Can I just use DMV's that are available to capture all these results and desing my own reports to reflect the results ?

My servers are SQL 2005 servers.

Also , In future if we were to upgrade to SQL 2008, how are my reports going to be affected if I use the Microsoft's Performance Dashboard ?

Will I need to recreate a new project ?

• Those reports get their data from DMVs and other T-SQL commands, so yeah, you can roll your own in Reporting Services or some such. I haven't done that, but I know it can be done.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply