Missing green arrow on the sql server icon in object explore

• ok thats interesting. does anyone else have SSMS on their machine, and if so is the service state missing for them too?

one other thing to try, connect to the server in SSMS using the IP address and see if you get the same result as with the server name

• This might be a stupid question but are you running the SQL 2008 client?

I have found that for some reason, a SQL 2005 Ent 64-bit cluster state cannot be seen by the 2008 client (even if the windows account is a local admin of said node and cluster).

Aggree with Animal that providing your a local admin of the server your connecting to (and assuming there are no client incompatibilities) the server state should be reported fine.

Adam Zacks-------------------------------------------Be Nice, Or Leave

• Hello guys

Till now, I almost give up. I've tried probably everything that I can, using IP address directly for connection, make sure that my domain admin account is also in the administrator group on the server etc. But still no luck.

Bazinga!

• xnleiden (11/27/2009)

Hello Animal Magic

I did try services.msc and connect it to the server and all start, stop and restart options are there for MSSQLSERVER service.

And the windows account I used for log on to my local workstation is a domain admin FYI.

Could you please advise me a bit more? Thanks.

So you are able to start and stop services from the same account that launched SSMS, when you use services.msc?

What version of the Tools are you using?

Is this an issue for all SQL Instances?

Is the domain admin account the same account you are using to start sql services by chance?

Are the sql services using a domain account?

Do you have the same issue when connecting to the instance using your domain account via SSMS, and not SA?

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• I use a SQL account with admin access when working from home. I can't start and stop the SQL Server services using this account. If I need to, I remote in to my desktop at work and use my network id to access the servers and stop and start services from there.

I have an idea on how to change that, but haven't had the time to test it. Perhaps early next week I will, as I am not sure if I will have time this weekend.

• I had this issue.

Resolved it by adding myself as local admin on the SQL server I was connecting to. Reconnected to it with SSMS and I now had the green circle.

• Thanks for your response. Unfortunately that was the first thing I tried. It was a problem in the past with 2005 servers and that was the MS suggested fix.

However i beleive the key here is that I am using a SQL2008 client and that there is something with SQL2008 client connceting to SQL2005 64-bit (and maybe the fact its a cluster plays a part) that just doesnt work.

Any other suggestions, really appreciated.

• ah, I'm on 2008 to 2008 both 64bit

• Schadenfreude-Mei (1/7/2010)

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately that was the first thing I tried. It was a problem in the past with 2005 servers and that was the MS suggested fix.

However i beleive the key here is that I am using a SQL2008 client and that there is something with SQL2008 client connceting to SQL2005 64-bit (and maybe the fact its a cluster plays a part) that just doesnt work.

I know this sound flippant - but why don't you use the 2005 client tools when you need to stop/start/restart services?

The client tools can be installed side-by-side with no problems.

BTW - the reason this is a problem appears to be how the 2008 client connects to the server through WMI. Not much you can do about it - except use the 2005 client tools instead.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• I had this issue too. Even though being an admin on SQL Server, I couln't stop/start or restart sql server from the client so I had to remote into the server and do if from there.

But, for me the options weren't grayed out though. FYI the server was part of a DMZ.

Thanks..

The_SQL_DBA
    MCTS

"Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives."

• Jeffrey Williams-493691 (1/7/2010)

Schadenfreude-Mei (1/7/2010)

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately that was the first thing I tried. It was a problem in the past with 2005 servers and that was the MS suggested fix.

I know this sound flippant - but why don't you use the 2005 client tools when you need to stop/start/restart services?

The client tools can be installed side-by-side with no problems.

BTW - the reason this is a problem appears to be how the 2008 client connects to the server through WMI. Not much you can do about it - except use the 2005 client tools instead.

Its ok, no offense taken. In fact thats what we do now (and have done all the time), its just annoying is all and irritating that the 32-bit servers are fine but the one 64-bit cluster isnt.

Thanks anyway.

• Try to re-install the latest service pack.. just uninsall and re-install the SP.

Rgds,
    Pankaj

• pankaj.baluni (1/8/2010)

Try to re-install the latest service pack.. just uninsall and re-install the SP.

On my desktop machine or the 2005 server?

• I have this problem appearing from time to time.

Client -> SSMS 2008 (not in domain for a specific reason)

Server -> SQL Server SE 2005 SP2 (in domain)

So, then I change passwords because of expiration policies on one side my green arrow goes away.

My solution is to have local user accounts with the same name and matching passwords on both sides.

I always use this local user account to log in on my workstation and it works just fine.

• Schadenfreude-Mei (1/8/2010)

pankaj.baluni (1/8/2010)

Try to re-install the latest service pack.. just uninsall and re-install the SP.

On my desktop machine or the 2005 server?

Doesn't look to me that it is a service pack issue...please do not uninstall any SP's from the server yet..

Thanks..

The_SQL_DBA
    MCTS

"Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives."

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 94 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply