Mirroring Issues

• This probably should never happen, but wanted to see if anyone else had ran into this issue. Both our Mirrored server and the Principal server are showing the role of "Principal". The Primary server that should show Principal is showing a Syncronized state, while the Mirrored server (also showing Principal) is showing a Synchronizing state.

Looks like things got a little corrupt when our log drive filled up.. (sigh).

Anyone seen anything like this before?

Bill

• Nope, I've never seen that before. However, it's a pretty simple fix:

1) Issue an ALTER DATABASE SET PARTNER OFF on the principal database server for each of the mirrored databases.

2) From the mirror server, issue an ALTER DATABASE '

3) From the principal server, issue the same statement but with the values for the mirror server.

4) If you are using a witness server instance, you will need to issue the same statement from the principal server, but using the witness server values.

That should take care of it, and it should only take a couple of minutes to execute. If this doesn't work, you're going to have to go through the entire process of setting up mirroring (backup database and log, restore to mirror with NO_RECOVERY option, etc.)

Hope this helps!

Cogiko ergo sum (I geek, therefore I am).

• Thanks David.

Unfortunately we're not quite sure what will happen once we drop mirroring with the "other" Principal, so we are going to try the backup/restore route.

This is definately a bug on Microsoft's part as these servers should never get to the point where both are in the Principal role. (Since we also have a Witness server)

Thanks for your suggestion.

Bill

• Would you be kind enough to post error logs from the server during problem time?

How many databases are mirrored?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply