Mirroring a subscriber

• We have a series of websites running off a dbs that are on the subscriber end of a replication relationship. All other databases on the server, that aren't involved in replication, are mirrored with automatic failover. What I can't get my head around is how to failover the replicated databases. As I see it we have two options:

1. Set up replication on db1 (Principle), then mirror this to db1(on the failover box). But then replication will always be erroring on one of the boxes, but all will be kept in synch and automatic failover.

2. Set up two subscriptions, one on the 'principal' server and one on the 'failover' server and use manual failover, ie don't use mirroring.

Any thoughts?

Matt

• Well, I don't really know the answer--but I can tell you that if things are set up in your environment properly, "failover" should be a fairly rare occurrence...

If it were me, I wouldn't worry about it too much -- and just pretty much accept that I'm going to have to spend a few minutes re-syncing the replication databases manually after a failover occurs.

• Thanks for the answer, its reassuring to know that my question made sense at least.

I guess you are right, if the principal server is generally one particular server then just setting the subscription up on that one would do, especially has changes are fairly infrequent.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply