Migrating DTS packages.

• I am trying to migrate DTS packages which contain custom tasks from one server to another. I tried saving them to the new sql server but now when i open or run them i get invalid class string errors.

I think i need to 'register the custom task on the new server' any ideas how to do this, what it means?

Thanks for all help ,

Jules

www.sql-library.com[/url]

• There is a table in the msdb database called something like syspackages or something like that. Within this table there is a column called server, or source. if you query this column it should read the name of your old server. Update this column and change the source to the name of your new server by using a simple update stmt similar to

update syspackages

set source =

I don't have an instance of 2000 in front so sorry I can't be more accurate.

rgds.

M

• there is no table called syspackages there is one called sysdtspackages but that doesn't contain a server column?

Thanks for your help.

Any ideas?

• for custom dts tasks were is the custom dll put and what is it likely to be called?

Thanks,

Jules

• Could be anywhere on the system. Could be named anything. It's custom.

I'd start just looking for a DLL with a date similar to that of the package. On the old server, you can actually get all the versions saved, so you might have a few dates to check.

And document what you find!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply