Migrating all MS SQL Server Databases

• Hello everyone,

I am using MS SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition.

I am planning to move the entire datases to a new partition. I could move the user databases using detach and attach method. However, I could not figure out a method to move all system databases.

I would be very gratefull if anyone can give me a clue on how to move system databaes to a new partion.

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards

Niyala

• no need to move system databases. is there any specific requirement? you can script out the logins , permissions and Sql jobs and deploy it to your new partition.

Please check this article for migration strategy:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Upgrade/65872/

• no need to move system databases. is there any specific requirement? you can script out the logins , permissions and Sql jobs and deploy it to your new partition.

Please check this article for migration strategy:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Upgrade/65872/

That article is about upgrading to a new version of SQL Server, not moving databases.

I would be very gratefull if anyone can give me a clue on how to move system databaes to a new partion.

I typed "sql server move system databases" into my favourite search engine and the top result was exactly what I needed. You could try the same.

John

• oops wrong post sorry.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• You cannot 'move' master, msdb from SQL2005 to 2008 at all. You will have to script everything out and re-create them in the new SQL2008.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply