Microsoft Dataverse

• So having seen the term dataverse thrown around I pictured it as some sort of marketing buzzword.

Recently I've been looking at the MS Power Platform and this term pops up all over the place.

So I googled it. Wikipedia talked of an open source product written in Java and I wondered if I may need to be more specific so I googled MS dataverse and read this long page that talked about storing data in tables with columns/rows/rules/calculated colums/logic/permissions, CRUD etc etc.

When I finished reading all I could think was "haven't I just read the definition of a database?"

Am I missing something? Can someone tell me what a dataverse is over and above a database.

I'm a DBA by trade so maybe this dataverse is just a trendy term to abstract the underlying data storage from the developer.... or maybe something else?

• The latest thing thrown around is MS Fabric.

Found a page about the differences between Fabric and Dataverse https://fabriconelake.com/microsoft-fabric-vs-dataverse-comparison-for-microservices-and-data-management/ 

Our company is not that far yet to represent information as an unified views where users can cherrypick

Still busy with reports, datawarehouse and some PowerBI's

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply