Merge Replication

• Hi Guys,

I'm new to Replication and just wanted to ask a couple of questions on this.

We have a server that sits in another country and would like it to be insync with the one in our country.

Would Merge Replication be possible for this scenario?

Would I need a Database Snapshot for Merge Replication?

What do you guys recommend?

Regards

IC

• I may not be the all-knowing guru you're looking to answer all your questions, but I can tell you that merge replication does require a database snapshot to be generated and applied to the subscriber at initialization/every reinitialization.

• With distance comes increased latency so, depending on the amount of transactions you are replicating, and the amount of distance you are travelling, will determine how much latency you are experiencing.

Yes, you will need a snapshot unless you can get your tables in sync prior and then start the replication without initializing. I would have to play with it a bit to validate this statement but pretty sure that is correct. Someone else may be able to validate this with more confidence. If not I will try it in the morning and let you know.

David

@SQLTentmaker

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply