Memory Pressure is HIGH in PROD Environment

• John Mitchell-245523 - Tuesday, January 24, 2017 3:25 AM

Narine M - Tuesday, January 24, 2017 3:16 AM

John Mitchell-245523 - Tuesday, January 24, 2017 3:10 AM

Narine M - Tuesday, January 24, 2017 3:03 AM

John Mitchell-245523 - Tuesday, January 24, 2017 2:59 AM

Definitely check your max server memory, yes.  If you're not running any other applications or SQL Server components on the server, leave about 8GB for the operating system.

What I'm curious about is how you know whatever problems you're having are caused by memory?

John

Always the memory utilization is high..Sometimes the server is slow and receiving the mails from client..Whether it is due to memory pressure..

As Andrew explained, high memory utilisation is expected behaviour.  SQL Server will grab as much memory as it can and only return it if the operating system asks for it.  There could be any number of reasons that the server is slow - you need to do a bit more investigation.  As I and others have said, start by setting max server memory - that certainly won't do any harm.

John 

Previously there is a CXpacket waits, so we changed the max DOP. Now the waits has been reduced. Now the queries are running fine.But the client is experiencing slowness for calls against databases.??? What will be the reason

Well, if you've reduced your maxdop just because you were seeing CXPACKET waits, that could be contributing to the poor performance.  I'm not sure how you can say the queries are running fine but the client is experiencing slowness?  I hate to say this, but I think you're out of your depth.  This isn't something we can diagnose from here, either - I would recommend you hire a consultant for half a day to a day.  He or she could identify the causes of your performance issues and guide you on how to carry out such investigations yourself the next time this happens.

John

Max DOP was 0, then we set it as 2. Then only the waits being reduced.

• Don't get hung up on memory pressure, have you changed you max server memory setting yet? If you are seeing scans being used in your execution plans the this points to an indexing issue which can cause poor performance. 

You previously said that the queries are running fine, is this the case as now you seem to be indicating that scans are causing you a problem?

I think you should take some time to do some reading about performance tuning and make sure you have a test environment set up to have a play about on.

• NorthernSoul - Tuesday, January 24, 2017 3:40 AM

Don't get hung up on memory pressure, have you changed you max server memory setting yet? If you are seeing scans being used in your execution plans the this points to an indexing issue which can cause poor performance. 

You previously said that the queries are running fine, is this the case as now you seem to be indicating that scans are causing you a problem?

I think you should take some time to do some reading about performance tuning and make sure you have a test environment set up to have a play about on.

We don't have test environment, thats the big drawback 

• You need to speak to your manager to get a test environment pretty urgently.

Back to your problem take it a step at a time, have you changed your max server memory value and if so have you seen anymore memory alerts? Bear in mind that it can take time for SQL Server to release the memory.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply