Member of Windows Group login issue in SQL server 2008

SQL Server: SQL Server 2008 w/SP1

There is a default SQL 2005 instance, and a SQL Server 2008 named instance on this box.

there is no issue on SQL 2005 side; but with the SQL 2008 instance: I added the domain group COM\DBA to the sysadmin server role on the SQL 2008 instance, and default database as MASTER; However, none of the members of that group could connect when try to connect from SSMS. IF i added each member's WINDOWS login, it will work.

The error message when trying to connect,saying:

cannot connect to the instance;

cannot open the default database, login failed.

Login failed for user "COM\ABC" ( microsoft SQL Server, Error 4064)

we have another Server having SQL 2008 and added the same group, and it works fine. Only this one is not working as expected. Did i miss anything? I tried to delete and re-add several times, and it still not working.

Please suggest where to look or how to solve this.

TIA.

• DBA in Unit 7 (7/25/2011)

with the SQL 2008 instance: I added the domain group COM\DBA to the sysadmin server role on the SQL 2008 instance, and default database as MASTER; However, none of the members of that group could connect when try to connect from SSMS. IF i added each member's WINDOWS login, it will work.

The error message when trying to connect,saying:

cannot connect to the instance;

cannot open the default database, login failed.

Login failed for user "COM\ABC" ( microsoft SQL Server, Error 4064)

Sounds like something is wrong with the default database. You're sure the group has it added as MASTER? You're sure MASTER is up and working (no corruption)?

Try adding the group with a different default database and see if you get the same error.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Keep in mind MASTER may not be master :crazy:

What's the collation of the instance?

can you post @@version info ?

-- this may help to figure out the issue.

EXEC master..xp_logininfo @acctname = 'domain\username',@option = 'all' -- Show all paths a user gets his auth from

go

EXEC master..xp_logininfo @acctname = 'domain\wingroup',@option = 'members' -- show group members

go

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• Thanks guys. Here are the info

Select @@VERSION

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (SP1) - 10.0.2531.0 (X64) Mar 29 2009 10:11:52 Copyright (c) 1988-2008 Microsoft Corporation Enterprise Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.0 <X64> (Build 6002: Service Pack 2)

Collation: SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

The master database is up running fine...as I can connect with the individual logins ( after added explicitly);

Did try a different Default DB for the group login, and same error ...

And for the xp_logininfo queries, everything returned correctly: the memebers of the group has the admin privilige through the domain group, and the group listed out all the members that are supposed to be there. ( those are nice scripts to have, ALZDBA, thank you!)

• is/are the user accounts you tested actual database owner and is such database offline ?

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• The group of COM/DBA should be added to the windows user groups (Administrators )

Then add that group to SQL Server as a Login.

Note: that group should exist in your active directory.

[font="Tahoma"]
    --SQLFRNDZ[/url]
    [/font]

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply