Measuring backup throughput

• Hi all

We have a database that is currently taking 6 hours to backup in Litespeed, although other DBs on that instance writing to the same location are not taking so long.

I was wondering if the disk was the bottle neck here, so was going to run perfmon measuring the disk read bytes/sec for the mdf and ndf file locations, and the same on the write location.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks

• Kwisatz78 (1/26/2012)

Hi all

We have a database that is currently taking 6 hours to backup in Litespeed, although other DBs on that instance writing to the same location are not taking so long.

I was wondering if the disk was the bottle neck here, so was going to run perfmon measuring the disk read bytes/sec for the mdf and ndf file locations, and the same on the write location.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks

How big is the database and what kind of data you have in it?

• what is the value for counter Physical Disk Object: Avg. Disk Queue Length?

Please provide the drive details like RAID type that you are using?

• Hi the DB is 200GB and is a Sharepoint content DB.

I am currently collecting perfmon stats, and it writes to a RAID 3.

• Kwisatz78 (1/26/2012)

Hi the DB is 200GB and is a Sharepoint content DB.

I am currently collecting perfmon stats, and it writes to a RAID 3.

There is your problem. Lite Speed can't really improve the backup times for SharePoint content databases. If you backup another kind of database of the same size the backup will be a lot faster, but LiteSpeed can't really do much with the data types on the SharePoint content databases. It is like trying to zip a PDF, there is not much you can gain by zipping it.

• Oh really I wasn't aware of that, can you expand on your answer?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply