MCITP SQL 2008 DBA

• Hi !

I am planning to take the MCTS 70-432. Any suggestion and recommendation on books to follow or online learning portal and area to concentration would be helpful.

Thanks

• i was looking at the MS Press book but might just do the MeasureUp online 30 day rent thing. I'll have to check ebay and amazon used prices for the book.

measureup also has a discounted test voucher if you buy their product as part of a package

I remember back in NT4 Microsoft used to have official "partners" for these things and even went as far as taking the test questions from one of the study books. For Exchange 5.5 it was well known which book it was and when i took the test i passed it with 90% by only studying that book for a week.

Check it out to make sure, but I think MeasureUp is the official "partner" for SQL test prep and it's a good chance a lot of the real questions will be very close to what they sell. I'll probably check on this at lunch today

• Hi,

I would recommed The Self Training Kit from Microsoft Press to Start with for 70-432. if you have been working in the Profession for quite a bit of time then the book would suffice your needs for Passing the Certification Exam. There are quite a few topics for which MSDN turns out to be the best bet. Let me know if you have questions

Thanks

• Hi,

I am sql 2000 certified DBA, currently working as a SQL 2K5 DBA. I am planning to upgrade my certification credentials. What should I go for, SQL 2005 or SQL 2008? Need your suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Sanjay.

• My 2 cents,

I've been working with SQL Server for several years now and feel that I need a certification so I have decided to study for the 70-432 Exam,

I've bought The Real MCTS SQL Server 2008 Exam 70-432 Prep Kit: Database Implementation and Maintenance to guide my studies. This book is really nice and seems to be covering all of the exams objectives. I would advice having a fresh SQL server Dev/Ent installation available and test every sections you lack experiences on.

I also purchase the Transcender Prep. Exam. (the 30days online version holding 164 questions), again, they seems to be covering all the exam objectives and each answer have a real good explanation and includes several links to technet books online as a References. Oh and with the Transcender came a 15% off the exam price 😉

About witch exam you should go for, I'll answer you with the question I've asked myself: Would you upgrade a SQL2000 server to 2005 or 2008?

Break a leg 😉

• Seems we all have the same question in this.

Iam MCTS sql2005. and want to upgrade towards MCITP2008.

And asked several learning schools what i should do. and what route i should follow.

You can almost guess it...

They all gave me a different suggestion.

It seems Microsoft doesn't have a strait forward route we have to follow if we want our certifications.

I asked one and they gave me the following suggestion. (upgrade from MCTS sql2005)

M6231 - M6232 - M6235 and M2778 (last one was optional as they say)

Anyone can help me with this?

• Read many books or e-books as many as you can read & learn things that is related to the relevant technology, so for the certs about SQL Server 2005 read everything that is related to SQL Server 2005 and for Certs that are related to SQL Server 2008 read everything that is related to SQL Server 2008 including Books OnLine for each-other.

Everything what you read and learn , don't forget to practice will help you for certs!

1. Training Kits ( SQL Server 2005 & SQL Server 2008, MCTS & MCITP)

2. Other books that can cover the certs MCTS and MCITP and you can find more info @ MS website.

3. Forums like SQL Server Central, I think articles and blogs etc...

4. Practice & Test ...

5. I wish you success...

:hehe::cool::w00t:;-):-P:-D:-)

============================================================
    SELECT YOUR PROBLEM FROM SSC.com WHERE PROBLEM DESCRIPTION =
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/[/url]

• r.rozeboom (5/19/2010)

There's no upgrade path from MCTS 2005 to MCITP 2008. The upgrade that's available is from MCITP 2005 (either dev or admin) to MCITP 2008 (either dev or admin)

You have two options here.

1) Write the MCITP 2005 exam, then write the upgrade exam to 2008

2) Write the MCTS 2008 exam and then the MCITP 2008 exam.

As far as I know, both options entail 2 exams.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (5/19/2010)

r.rozeboom (5/19/2010)

There's no upgrade path from MCTS 2005 to MCITP 2008. The upgrade that's available is from MCITP 2005 (either dev or admin) to MCITP 2008 (either dev or admin)

You have two options here.

1) Write the MCITP 2005 exam, then write the upgrade exam to 2008

2) Write the MCTS 2008 exam and then the MCITP 2008 exam.

As far as I know, both options entail 2 exams.

Option 1 would require 2 exams to reach MCITP 2005 DBA if you aleady have MCTS: SQL Server, and then a 3rd exam for the 2005-2008 upgrade.

Option 2 would require one exam for the MCTS: SQL Server 2008 and a 2nd exam for the MCITP DBA 2008.

For whatever reason, M$FT has 2 exam requirements for the transition from MCTS: SQL Server 2005 to MCITP DBA 2005 whereas there is only 1 exam requirement from MCTS: SQL Server 2008 to MCITP DBA 2008.

• I also preparing for MCITP: 432 and 450.

cbt nuggets is good source of training for now sql 2008. You can cover 2008 basic skills.

Virtual-labs good to know new features:

http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/virtual-labs.aspx

On amazon I ordered this book too:

70-443 and 70-450: Microsoft SQL Server Database Design and Optimization, Package (Microsoft Official Academic Course) (Paperback)

by Microsoft Official Academic Course (Author)

Microsoft(R) SQL Server(R) 2008 Administrator's Pocket Consultant by William R. Stanek book also covers lot of resources.

🙂

• I was looking at picking up this book as a study aid for the MCITP: DBA 2005 to DBA 2008 upgrade. Anyone have any experience with it or the author/publisher?

http://www.amazon.com/SQL-Server-2008-Administration-Certification/dp/0470554207/ref=sr_1_50?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1275661940&sr=1-50

• I just noticed it was published by Sybex, which is pretty well known so I suppose that speaks for itself, but any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

• Great work, I know people down play getting certified but I think it is a great educational accomplishment!

• I just enjoy doing it too as I definitely learn a good bit during the process (plus the company pays for all the books I buy and the tests I take and let me study on company time). I don't flaunt it either like I've seen some do (i.e. have their name, comma, all their MSFT certs in their email signatures). I think that's overdoing it...

Plus, nice resume builder... it's surprising how many jobs "require" SQL certs of some sort.

SQL is definitely a passion of mine, and I see myself in it for a long time.

• Suggest any good books for MCITP DBA SQL Server 2008. I cleared MCTS SQL Server 2005 already.

Thanks in Advance

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply