MCDBA certification process

• I'm in the process of getting my MCDBA certification. I don't have my MCSE. I wanted to get some feedback from people who have their certification on how they did it. I'm most interested in the timing and what order they did things. Also, how long after the classes did you take the exams? And are there any classes that you took on your own vs. instructor lead? Also, has anyone taken any of the elective classes and if so, how were they.

Thanks in advance

Darren

Darren

• I have the advantage of working on SQL Server while I studied for the tests. I was working with a much more experienced DBA and I would check my reasons for the answers with him. I studied mostly by reading. I would schedule a test a month until I was finished. I already had my elective (Visual Basic), so I took the two SQL Server tests and then the Win Server test.

It was mastering the concepts instead of rote memorization. If you understand why a process can not happen in another way then you can eliminate the answers quicker.

I hope that helps.

If you are asking if the cert by itself means anything. No. I have much more credibility and experience because of the 18 months of mentoring that I received than taking a few tests.

Patrick

Quand on parle du loup, on en voit la queue

• Thanks for the response pbirch. Did you take any of the classes or mainly self study? I'm supposed to take another class in a couple weeks, but I'm debating on taking the exam first before starting another topic.

Darren

Darren

• Take the exam first while the information is fresh. I've known a few guys who took the course and scheduled the exam either the evening of the last day or first thing the next Monday.

I did it mostly through self-study, questions with my mentor and working with the product.

Bon chance!

Patrick

Quand on parle du loup, on en voit la queue

• I've taken the two SQL test and 70-215. I currently working on 70-216 as an elective.

I took 229 first. I am very familiar with Access and felt this would be the most painless route. I tried to study 228 first, but felt it was more difficult. There is quite a bit of overflow regarding the two SQL test, so I would try to take them back to back. I self studied for 4-6 weeks, for each test so far, and set up a small lab in my house to practice on.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply